For Sale 1983 BJ42 - Genuine Survivor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOLD 1983 Toyota Landcruiser BJ42 - LHD North American spec (NOT a JDM import)

3.4L Diesel, 5-speed manual, power steering, removable hard-top

152,000km

This is not a restoration, this is a genuine survivor. The paint is about 90% original (the rear corners have been touched up, and one front fender has been re-painted, other than that, what you see is the original paint from 1983).

I spent a few years searching for "The Right BJ42" to try and replace the 1983 BJ42 that I sold in order to start my business. I came across this truck and it was "the one". Unfortunately, my life is so busy I don't get the time to enjoy it. I've put under 2500km on this truck since I found it, and just can't justify keeping it. Every fall it gets a re-spray of Rust Check coat & protect to keep it from rusting away, and then gets tucked into the garage under a fitted car cover for the winter. I un-wrap it and start it once or twice a month during the winter, but don't take it out of the garage until the spring rains stop.

History: The story passed down from owner to owner is that this truck was owned by the government in the North West Territories and used as an airport vehicle up north. When it was auctioned off it was purchased by someone in Alberta (I have the out of province inspection and registration from then) with around 60,000 or so km on the clock. It was then sold to a collector in Winnipeg, then to an older gentleman in Thunder Bay where I picked it up and drove it home.

It's not perfect. It's very original. It's had a few minor rust repairs done by a previous owner that are not as perfect as i would like (rear corner reflectors have been removed and patched, and there are some small patches welded into the wheel wells). It has rock chips that have been touched up. There are two areas where rust is just starting, one at the bottom of the seam behind the driver's side door, and another just above and to the right of the right rear door. I spray these areas regularly with rust check to keep them from getting any worse, and this seems to have stopped it in it's tracks. The rubber door seal on the right rear door is coming un-glued (I've got a new door seal), but there is no rust.

The engine is a 3.4L 3B diesel, and it runs smoother and stronger than any other 3B powered cruiser I've had. The 5 speed manual shifts smoothly, as well as the transfer case. Everything works with the one exception being the "fasten seat belts" light does not shut off.

Maintenance: With in the past few months I've re-built the center link, replaced all the tie-rod ends, and replaced the old worn bushings in the suspension with new poly bushings and greasable shackles / pins (the old shackles & pins had completely bonded to the disintegrating rubber bushings). This has eliminated any slop in the handling, and it now feels very well planted and tight. That's about it this year. The truck comes with a complete soft top (which I've never used) as well as what ever 40 series spare parts I happen to have (which could be quite a bit).

It's a very rare find, and I'm reluctantly putting it up for sale. Asking $24,000 obo

Feel free to PM me for additional pictures / questions.
BJ42_01.jpg
BJ42_04.jpg
BJ42_09.jpg

Last edited:
It's nice and I want it. Some close ups of the problem areas would be good. However, we are so far apart on what we think it's worth, I am not going to even make an offer...
GLWS

I honestly do appreciate you not making a low-ball offer, so thank-you.

I've owned a lot of BJ42's over the years, from rust buckets to pristine restorations. I'm pretty certain it's worth what I'm asking. If absolutely no one agrees with me, I would be more than happy to keep it.

Best of luck with your search.

It's nice and I want it. Some close ups of the problem areas would be good. However, we are so far apart on what we think it's worth, I am not going to even make an offer...
GLWS

Very cool.:clap:

More interior pics would probably help, floors, wheel wells.....:popcorn:

My first ever cruiser was a 1983, I would love to buy this rig today:beer::beer:.

Just not in the cards or bank...

"Rob

Hey Rob,

If I remember right, your first cruiser was "restored" by the guy you sold it to..... and then became my first cruiser. Which is why I became obsessed with hunting this particular one down.

By the way, anyone that sends me a PM gets a link to an archive of high-rez photos. Inside, Outside, Underneath, problem areas, detailed shots of the factory spot welds (still as they were meant to be), the original glossy "orange peel" texture of the paint, the whole works.

Darren

More interior pics would probably help, floors, wheel wells.....:popcorn:

My first ever cruiser was a 1983, I would love to buy this rig today:beer::beer:.

Just not in the cards or bank...

"Rob

Hey Rob,

If I remember right, your first cruiser was "restored" by the guy you sold it to..... and then became my first cruiser. Which is why I became obsessed with hunting this particular one down.

By the way, anyone that sends me a PM gets a link to an archive of high-rez photos. Inside, Outside, Underneath, problem areas, detailed shots of the factory spot welds (still as they were meant to be), the original glossy "orange peel" texture of the paint, the whole works.

Darren

Ahhh Darren small world we live in....

Could you send me that link to rclassman@shaw.ca, I still know a few people who might be interested... If it were not for my rental needing a 60thousand dollar infusion I would of picked it up.

Rob

Worth every penny man.......! Sweet sweet thang.... Wish I had the coin.....

GLWS

:beer:

I'm having 2nd..... and 3rd..... and 4th thoughts about just how un-smart it would be to let this one go. Just sold my Hilux, which was hard enough! Not sure I'm ready to go through that again.

Wavering..... maybe sell.... maybe keep.... probably keep.... In the past I've found letting go of a good truck just doesn't lead to any good at all, sooooo.....

I'll give it another week before I finally make up my mind.

Man oh man, this could be the one my bro had back in the day. Looks very nice.

Ive seen this BJ first hand (i'm in Cochrane too) and its a real time capsule.
Everybody who knows that I have landcruisers said "have you seen the tan one in town?"
So when I saw it I almost pooped.
VERY cool.
Brian

for $25,000 that is the lowest I would sell it for, practally new ! I might be heart broken if I sold it for that.
Mine is an 83,42 but has 500,000. Very sweet ! how ever buys it will get a lot of life out of it with very low maintenance. Raise the price !
Cheers !
A.M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom