1983 BJ42 Assembly Trials and Tribulations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello mighty forum,
I bought my dream truck. This thread will catalogue its whirlwind assembly throughout the next few months. The original owner unfortunately passed away mid-restoration and this truck was sold to a fellow who bought it with big plans but didn't really have the time to complete it. I can ramble on forever, so I'll itemize the stuff thats been done so far:

Frame:
Sandblasted, sprayed/brushed with POR15, top coated with POR15 rubberized undercoating.

Suspension:
OME Dakar with shocks

Drivetrain:
Rebuilt 3b diesel, 5 speed and t-case
ARB air lockers front and rear, new 4.11 gears
33x10.5 BFG K02 on stock steelies
rebuilt front axle
Factory power steering

Body:
Aqualu aluminum tub, cowl, windshield frame, tail gate, front fenders and bib. Steel doors, ambulance doors and hood.. The steel parts are in pretty good shape from what I can tell, so I'm going to move head with blasting and paint and address issues as they come.

Front bumper is a Warn stainless steel winch bumper, rear is an ARB with spare tire and panier swing outs.

The rest will be restored/refurbished original, which is the biggest struggle I'm facing. I'm impressed with the quality of the Aqualu body parts, but I'm struggling to make the dash components of an 83-84 40 series fit a flat dash.

Here's a few photos for now. This will be a whirlwind of a build as I'm planning to have this one on the road for summer (I'll miss my old red82 Bj42 too much otherwise). Anyways. Photos.
IMG_0384.JPG
IMG_0385.JPG
IMG_0406.JPG
IMG_0422 2.JPG

The red one was mine.. I sadly sold it a couple of weeks ago due to lack of storage. There will definitely be a turbo in this truck's future, but I'm not sure how the budget is doing right now so I'll likely wait until I'm closer to the finish line before I pull the trigger.

The overall plan is to build a pretty classic looking daily driver with some hidden modern stuff like onboard air (for the lockers, plus a small reservoir for tires/small impact). I'm ordering a vintage air unit to install as well to keep it cool in the summer/dry in the winter which will take some modifying for 24v and 3B. Lots of stuff to do...

The red one is at a loving home is sask these days!!!!

Looks like your moving along Jesse!

Subscribed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom