1983 BJ-42LX Ammeter questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been trying to clean up some wiring in my 1983 BJ42LX that I imported from Honduras. There is quite a bit of creative wiring on it, but at the same time the PO left most of the wiring that he bypassed over the years. Right now I'm working on trying to figure out the ammeter. I have a wiring diagram that seems to line up with my vehicle, and it shows wiring going from the ammeter through two fuses. In the engine compartment, near the battery, I found a small black box with two 5A fuses. However, there are only 3 wires for the 4 connections, and I have no idea where the missing wire would come from.

To start the investigation, I worked from the instrument cluster to check where the wires go. I can trace one of the connections (a red with black stripe wire) into the engine compartment, and it was not connected to anything. I thought I had found the easy solution by finding the missing wire, but it is never that easy.

The other one, green with red stripe, doesn't go to the engine compartment on the left side. Rather it goes through a diode and connects to a heavier gauge yellow wire exits under the glove box on the right side. I think goes to the alternator--nowhere near the little fuse box. There is also no diode on the schematic I have, but it looks original.

Where should the wires come from and go to that go through the little black box that holds the two fuses? Any idea what the original routing would have been?

I appreciate any assistance or a point out to an existing thread on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom