1982FJ40 transmission fluid fill and check help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I looked through FAQ and probably missed. Sorry if I did. Can some please show me by posting a picture of how to get to and where to check transmission fluid level?

the guy I purchased from covered this hole when I asked them address a small leak. I wiped that cover off today and now I have fluid leaking out. I need to check level.

Appreciate any help. Thanks!

95307D5C-36D2-4793-BBD2-1618EB155DB1.jpeg

the pic shows the bellhousing cover, inside it is the flywheel and clutch assembly. the oil leaking from there will either be engine oil or gear oil from the transmission.
the transmission oil level is checked on the left side of the trans about halfway up and halfway down the side, it will be a plug. I don't have a pic.

the pic shows the bellhousing cover, inside it is the flywheel and clutch assembly. the oil leaking from there will either be engine oil or gear oil from the transmission.
the transmission oil level is checked on the left side of the trans about halfway up and halfway down the side, it will be a plug. I don't have a pic.

Thanks. My engine oil level seems very solid. Hardly burn or lose any. I had asked the seller to correct the leak which I thought was coming from differential. He did by sealing that hole. I knocked the cover off that hole tonight only to find a small accumulation of dark, black fluid.

Thanks. My engine oil level seems very solid. Hardly burn or lose any. I had asked the seller to correct the leak which I thought was coming from differential. He did by sealing that hole. I knocked the cover off that hole tonight only to find a small accumulation of dark, black fluid.
Maybe a good idea to take the cover off for a little inspection.

You can remove the cover and look inside to try and determine what is leaking. Whether it is the engine or trans. My guess it is probably the rear main seal, oil pan gasket or the cam or oil galley plug. You need to remove the cover, and clean all the seeping oil, then drive it and periodically look to see where the oil is coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom