1982 Fj60, opened gas fill on hot day, huge blast of air/vapor released. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
On my 1982 Fj60,

Drove to gas station first time since got it almost 18 months ago! (Yes!)

Opened gas fill on hot day, huge blast of air/vapor released. (had replaced gas cap as old seal was all cracked to heck )

I kind of remember this being a specific problem related to gas tank failure, but mine already has the gas tank recall done (10 years ago)
I seem to remember it being related to a vent being plugged? Or was that the FJ40?

Maybe in the charcoal canister, so you like hook it up backwards or something to 'fix' it...?

Does anyone remember the actual detail on what I'm half pulling out of the Fog bank that is my mind lately?

Thanks,

Eric-

yes charcoal canister is clogged. Some on here have found to reverse the lines on the canister which help. Mine does the same thing and I had my gas tank recall work done too.

The problem is caused by the plugged check valve in the charcoal canister “Tank” port. The “Purge” port doesn’t have a check valve so swapping the hoses allows the tank to breathe freely.

The gas tank recall was implemented decades ago to replace tanks that were splitting at the seems do to over pressurization from the faulty charcoal canister.

Instead if fixing the charcoal canister problem, Toyota decided to just swap in stronger tanks.

Thanks all, I'll swap the lines for now.

Or you can swap to the ACDelco canister with a few mods to mount its slightly larger diameter.

(215-153) is the part number.​

@4runner2FJ60 , / Hunter speaks the truth here , and this is a SOLID solution too .............

I dont have a charcoal canister anymore, since I desmogged and had the same issue....I drilled an itty bitty hole in my gas cap and moved on to more pressing issues.

If a tiny hole is drilled into the gas cap, a rag should be stuffed in the gas fill door pocket to act as an air filter for the breathing cap.
Not really important if driving on pavement all the time, but pretty important if driving on dusty dirt roads since that gas fill pocket behind the fill door fills up with dirt.

If a tiny hole is drilled into the gas cap, a rag should be stuffed in the gas fill door pocket to act as an air filter for the breathing cap.
Not really important if driving on pavement all the time, but pretty important if driving on dusty dirt roads since that gas fill pocket behind the fill door fills up with dirt.
Good point. I often do 5k feet altitude change in like 30 min. When I do, I take the outlet from the tank going to the canister and hook a little 2 stroke lawn mower gas filter from home Depot.

Reactions: OSS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom