1982 FJ60 fuel problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently purchased FJ60 after sitting in storage for +-4 years. Previous owner said it ran good when parked. When I got cruiser home it would run off starter fluid. So I drained all fuel from tank. Replaced fuel pump, filter, and all rubber fuel lines inside the engine compartment. Cruiser will now run and rev at 2000rpm for approximately +-30 seconds then stale and die. Won't restart immediately. I'll let it sit for a about 2-3 mins and will restart with same results. Cruiser will idle without any problems. I'm seeing a lot of air in fuel filter when engine is running. It also appears to me that the fuel filter isn't completely filling. Cruiser engine appears to rev and idle perfect during 30 second period. What should I check or replace at this point?

Update. I monitored carburetor sight glass. At idle the level is about 1/4” into sight glass. When I rev engine level disappears and engine dies. After a couple of mins not running level in sight glass is half. Does this help diagnosis?

Fuel filter.jpg

Cruiser.jpg

Last edited:
My fuel filter is never full at idle. Two quick things I’d want to know/check. When was the last time the carb was rebuilt? You said it sat for 4+ years, so that’s suspect. Also, with the current carb you can watch the front sight glass at idle and see if it is truly out of fuel when it stalls.

I’m certain others will chime in with more advice as well.

A persistent air bubble in the fuel filter is normal but sucking air is not. The fuel pump works by sucking fuel out of the tank. If any of the fuel line connections between the pump and the pickup tube inside the tank leak, the pump will suck in air through that leaky spot too.
Since all the fuel lines were replaced, carefully check every connection to make sure they're air tight.

The little fuel filter inside the carb before the needle valve could maybe be dirty. Remove the carb top and inspect it.

Needle valve in the carb can stick closed. Carb will run through what is in the fuel bowl but will starve because more is not being allowed in. May be intermittent.

carb rebuild may be needed.

Hi, This truck has sat for years. I would not be surprised if the carb. Doesn’t need rebuilding and you have some valves sticking. Mike

Update. I monitored carburetor sight glass. At idle the level is about 1/4” into sight glass. When I rev engine level disappears and engine dies. After a couple of mins not running level in sight glass goes to half. Does this help diagnosis?

Last edited:
Have you checked your fuel tank to see if its full of crud and it's clogging up the fuel sock?
I've got one that's been sitting ~10 years, and that's my current suspicion.

Have you checked your fuel tank to see if its full of crud and it's clogging up the fuel sock?
I've got one that's been sitting ~10 years, and that's my current suspicion.

no sock/filer on a US spec 60 series, just a metal tube for a suction line.

I strongly suggest dropping the tank and taking it to a radiator shop and having them put it in their solvent tank overnight. My '83 sat for about 10 years and the tank was disgusting and full of sludge. Also take some wire and clean out the tank pickup and return hard lines really well. Put a generic fuel filter on the fuel line and change it frequently until it stays clean. You probably also need a carb rebuild too.

I strongly suggest dropping the tank and taking it to a radiator shop and having them put it in their solvent tank overnight. My '83 sat for about 10 years and the tank was disgusting and full of sludge. Also take some wire and clean out the tank pickup and return hard lines really well. Put a generic fuel filter on the fuel line and change it frequently until it stays clean. You probably also need a carb rebuild too.

Take a look at my tank pics. You think a radiator shop can help me?

I had mine replace with all the lines with the recall a couple years ago at a dealer here in Houston.....free. Well I paid to have the pick up replaced.

If ya check out the treebeard build thread (Builds - Treebeard) Mr. @ntdb used a rust bath and a pressure washer to clean his out himself, looks like yours is in similar condition, if ya got the space and time it could save you some money, maybe even time depending on surrounding shops turn around times.

Found a problem. Tank full of rust and sludge. Fuel line almost completely plugged.
Can these tanks be refurbished?
Are new available?

Honestly that doesn’t look too awful to me BUT you should see if you can get it replaced under recall from Toyota or have a radiator shop refurb it while it’s out. They don’t all do it any more but you might find somewhere nearby that does. In a pinch, a rust bath and pressure wash will help more than you might expect. 👍

I didn't know about the recall. For about $100 a local radiator shop put it in their solvent tank over the weekend and it came out looking pretty much new. I cut out the top of the tank to put in an in-tank pump and it looked very clean in there, just a bit of surface rust in places. I would give it a try, a new tank is $$$. Make sure you clean out the pickup/return lines too. Tank them too then clean them out with welding wire or something similar.

John

as @John Staton said above, check the recall list if it hasn't been done Toyota will replace it

Hurry. As of April there were only like 30 tanks in North America:

Hurry. As of April there were only like 30 tanks in North America:

That tank looks clean enough on the outside that it may have already been replaced on the recall.

Update...I searched my VIN on Toyota website. The VIN has active recall for fuel tank. I will be contacting Toyota direct tomorrow.
Any advice on communicating with Toyota regarding this recall would be appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom