1982 FJ40, worn distributor.......Need some guidance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone, need some help with my 1982 FJ40. Noticed the past few mornings when I started this rig up its running really rough at idle, but give it a little gas and the 2F will run perfect. I don't drive this cruiser very often but I keep the gas fresh and add fuel cleaner a few times per year.

I checked the points and noticed a little slop in the base plate the points mount to, just seems really loose. All screws are tight. Seems the old OEM distributor may be a bit worn from the years of service. I really can't see a way to tighten this base plate the points mount on.

Makes me wonder, is it time to change the entire distributor with a brand new CDI unit and get away from points? Found a new CDI distributor unit online at a good price but I have questions and need some help pls.

-Does CDI still need the external coil?
-The CDI distributor seems to show only two wires, neg and positive.
-How will the wires connect, to the external coil or ignition?
-Or, do I just install a new Toyota OEM distributor and go back with points?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Is this an Indonesian or USA truck ?

Shouldn't have points on an 82.
I'm a Texas guy but live on the island of SE Asia. This cruiser here came factory with points and a 3 speed tranny. I'd like to get it converted to CDI but have some questions to make sure the conversion is as seamless as possible. The FJ's and BJ's here are plentiful, but most are old style points, voltage regulator etc...

Any help here would be appreciated

If by CDI Distributor you mean a GM HEI I've never run one so I can't comment on that, but there are many threads on how to hook them up. Search DUI distributor.

FWIW, Toyota still sells a new points small-cap distributor for your 2F engine. Should be plug and play for you.

19100-61080 (2F)

19100-61180 is for the 3F engine and will also work.

There are CCP copies of those but I wouldn't recommend.

If by CDI Distributor you mean a GM HEI I've never run one so I can't comment on that, but there are many threads on how to hook them up. Search DUI distributor.

FWIW, Toyota still sells a new points small-cap distributor for your 2F engine. Should be plug and play for you.

19100-61080 (2F)

Thanks for the part number and information.

19100-61080 (2F)

i now offer a complete and comprehensive all OEM toyota parts Ignition system kit .........

it includes everything u need to update you system .

please review the tech video below and the link too

Kindly , matt

I can set you up with a refurbished '75 through '77 US market 2F distributor converted to Toyota electronic ignition, points no longer required. Check this out:

I don't know what shipping would cost though.

Thanks for everyone's help, I decided to go back with a Toyota OEM points distributor due to the change just being simple and an exact replacement. I'm currently in indonesia, so the pricing for a new OEM distributor here from Toyota is very reasonable. I ordered the unit today and the total cost was under $50.00 USD including shipping, complete assy with points installed.

I have shipped about 23 FJs and BJs to the UK, Australia and the USA. Like my rig, most have excellent AC 85% paint and are in great mechanical condition, ready to roll. Videos attached.

IMG-20220717-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20220717-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20220717-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20220717-WA0002.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom