1982 FJ40 odometer c-clip removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any ideas on how to get this c-clip out to clean the gears and shot? As you can see, there is a collar that prevents from getting a pick in there to remove. The 10th side does not have a c-clip.
I've been soaking it in warm soapy water for the pas
IMG_2186.jpeg
IMG_2187.jpeg

Just use a small flat head screwdriver and some needle nose pliers but be careful...... they tend to go flying when being removed! 😉

If you have not seen this yet, it a helpful post!

If you have not seen this yet, it a helpful post!
Yes and thank you. My issue is my cluster has a collar surrounding the c-clip and no one seems to have this collar in all the tutorials. I cannot get a pick or a screw driver in there to pry it out. I wasn't sure if anyone else has come across this and had some tips to remove it.

I have an ‘82 also..... I’ve done this years ago but cannot remember a collar? It looks like you could use the lip of that collar for leverage to get a jeweler’s size screwdriver in there maybe?
Wish I could be more help.....

Pretty sure my 12/79 build 1980 did not have that collar, that does look difficult.

Any ideas on how to get this c-clip out to clean the gears and shot? As you can see, there is a collar that prevents from getting a pick in there to remove. The 10th side does not have a c-clip.
I've been soaking it in warm soapy water for the pas
View attachment 2356303View attachment 2356305

Does your 1982 have the Last revised USA Spec. Orange 55 Cluster in it ?

like my example photo below

if so , i tinkered with one while back , i was doing a Lights Shades Modification for another member

his odometer was sticky like sap on it ?

I quickly concluded after trying al;l removal techniques like other mention herein your thread like @imyahucklbrry for example

i keep a supply of METRIC JIS E-Clips in-stock , and one was a match , i used my heavy duty medical Forceps and crushed is a bit side to side
to successfully extract it without mauling up the soft brass shaft and its E-clip De-tent or snap in groove

i did my thing cleaning up all the black and one white " Slot machine " numbered wheel the re-assembled

installed the new JIS e-clip using a 1/4" drive DEEP snap-on socket attached to a straight hand drive screwdriver profile tool , or driver maybe its just called ?

\
pressed it on with careful as all get out mild hand held pressure and snapped in she was

indeed a perplexing task ?

the 411 Behind the late Model MOD by TOYOTA engineers as i have been taught , is simple :

Anti Speedo Miles / Kilometers Roll back security feature and deterrent design ................

1982 factory anti-rollback feature equipped odometer feature or " Orange 55 "

1593484345769.png

Does your 1982 have the Last revised USA Spec. Orange 55 Cluster in it ?

like my example photo below

if so , i tinkered with one while back , i was doing a Lights Shades Modification for another member

his odometer was sticky like sap on it ?

I quickly concluded after trying al;l removal techniques like other mention herein your thread like @imyahucklbrry for example

i keep a supply of METRIC JIS E-Clips in-stock , and one was a match , i used my heavy duty medical Forceps and crushed is a bit side to side
to successfully extract it without mauling up the soft brass shaft and its E-clip De-tent or snap in groove

i did my thing cleaning up all the black and one white " Slot machine " numbered wheel the re-assembled

installed the new JIS e-clip using a 1/4" drive DEEP snap-on socket attached to a straight hand drive screwdriver profile tool , or driver maybe its just called ?

\
pressed it on with careful as all get out mild hand held pressure and snapped in she was

indeed a perplexing task ?

the 411 Behind the late Model MOD by TOYOTA engineers as i have been taught , is simple :

Anti Speedo Miles / Kilometers Roll back security feature and deterrent design ................

1982 factory anti-rollback feature equipped odometer feature or " Orange 55 "

View attachment 2356636
Yes, I have the very same cluster. I didn't want to jack it up too bad, so I took my time and used an entire can of CRC electrical cleaner to get it freed up. I put it back in and tested it with a drill. SUCCESS!
Question for you Matt, do you have a part number of LEDs to replace the stock bulbs in it? I was going to try these, but I don't want to have to take out the cluster more than once to replace the bulbs

Amazon product ASIN B07GRVN7R6

Yes, I have the very same cluster. I didn't want to jack it up too bad, so I took my time and used an entire can of CRC electrical cleaner to get it freed up. I put it back in and tested it with a drill. SUCCESS!
Question for you Matt, do you have a part number of LEDs to replace the stock bulbs in it? I was going to try these, but I don't want to have to take out the cluster more than once to replace the bulbs

Amazon product ASIN B07GRVN7R6

are you planning a Lights Shade Modification ? at the same time as install of LED 's ?

I am not sure what you mean by "Lights Shade Modification." What is that?

hummmmmmmmmm

i did a very complex step by step tech thread many many years ago ..............

see if i cant find it for you

give me some time

i will have to use the ADVANCE Search feature deep into the Archives , as @thebigredrocker , has shown me in the past .....

its killer Kool ability's and how it's used to help others ............

Ahh! I just saw a thread where you talked about it. I did not do that before I put it back together. I guess I am taking it apart again

if you want or NEED as i did , to have a PHISH concert playing live on Fall Tour in you cluster meter like i did Mine .........

start taking out the jis Phillips 4mm's all right now on back side .....

because a whole new world awaits after those silly WTF design shades are surgically removed per my tech. thread step by steps :D

FJ43L-KC

- Light shades modification

- Violet High Out-Put Led Bulbs

- New orange paint on all Needles

- clean all glass inside and out .....sorta :rolleyes:

- NON-USA Style Pull switch knob Lantern Logo Saudi Spec Region Late Model
LX package Limited numbers made

1593487457648.png

if you want or NEED as i did , to have a PHISH concert playing live on Fall Tour in you cluster meter like i did Mine .........

start taking out the jis Phillips 4mm's all right now on back side .....

because a whole new world awaits after those silly WTF design shades are surgically removed per my tech. thread step by steps :D

FJ43L-KC

- Light shades modification

- Violet High Out-Put Led Bulbs

- New orange paint on all Needles

- clean all glass inside and out .....sorta :rolleyes:

- NON-USA Style Pull switch knob Lantern Logo Saudi Spec Region Late Model
LX package Limited numbers made

View attachment 2356690
Word!
Thanks Matt for bringing this to my attention.

Word!
Thanks Matt for bringing this to my attention.

use a VIOLET bulb for high beam indicator

its NOT a Blue lens color as it appears

per original microfiche

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom