1982 Fj40 New Water Pump not working?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So you are suggesting I leave the cap off and let the coolant flow out onto the ground and engine? I wish there was a way to catch and reuse it. I wonder how much coolant would flow out?

Depends on how big the bubble is.

OK, so I took off the thermostat and there seems to be fluid at this level. I loosened all the belts and turned the water pump by hand, but to change in the level of the fluid in the thermostat housing to the engine.

Could there still be a BIG air pocket somewhere, or could the new waterpump not be working?

I have had this FJ40 for 34 years, and have changed the waterpump and thermostat before without an issue, but now I do not understand why this seems to tough. So far I have tried all to the air bleed techniques suggested. I will drill the weep hole in the thermostat as suggested, but I am not sure what else to try.

Boil the thermostat in water and make sure it is opening. That will eliminate one variable. I agree on drilling a hole in it. I have never had a water pump not work. The only water pump failure I have ever had was leaking or play/noise in the bearing. That is on all cars, not just the FJ40.

if you want to know if your pump is moving coolant , you could pull the rad hose off and crank the engine. if you drained and saved the coolant and refilled with water first , you wouldnt have to worry about the mess.

if you want to know if your pump is moving coolant , you could pull the rad hose off and crank the engine. if you drained and saved the coolant and refilled with water first , you wouldnt have to worry about the mess.

I would definitely need to save the fluid. If I crank the engine with the thermostat off, would that show fluid movement as well? I jsut have to wait till it warms up around here.

Thanks for the advice.

If you have doubts regarding the new water pump, drain your coolant into a bucket... both the radiator drain and the block drain.

Then, remove the water pump and see if something is blocking the hole to the block... maybe a gasket is misaligned or something.

Pop the plate off the pump and see if the vane is loose.

If you’ve never drained the block, it’s possible, after 34 years, that you have a buildup of sludge.

Possibly, sludge has broken loose and created a blockage somewhere.

There’s a procedure, documented in a thread by @sggoat, that explains his to flush the block.

But, I would first drill the weep hole and test the thermometer, with emac’s procedure.

Then reassemble the thermometer and remove the water pump and verify it’s working... reinstall it, making sure it’s properly aligned (pump and gasket).

Even with a bad thermostat, should I not get heat to the inside of the vehicle? I will boil the thermostat and see if it works. It was working great before I changed the waterpump.

I boiled the crap out of the thermostat and I only saw it eek open a hair. I wonder how far it is supposed to open? I will order a new one to be sure.

It should open a significant amount. Shouldnt have to look hard at it to know its open. Replace it and see if that fixes it before getting into the pump again.

I thermometer in the pot is helpful as well. Check the new one.

Thanks emac . . . I love my daily driver FJ40. Some rust, but otherwise looks good. I get more looks than most cars. :)

I just installed a new water pump on my FJ40 stock 2F, I put like 2.5 containers of antifreeze into it, I do not see any leaks, but it does not seem to be pumping water. The only hose that seems to get warm as teh engine gets hot is the major hose from the water pump to the T to the radiator. There is lots of pressure that builds behind the cap. No heat inside. Any ideas?

-- Gene.
"2.5 containers of antifreeze"...Does that mean straight antifreeze?
I always heard that 100% antifreeze can cause cavitation in the pump and restrict flow.
Just a thought.

Hi, Make sure you get the gasket and rubber seal for inside the housing. Mike

what Michael said! Make sure the gasket on top of the thermostat is present. Also, if the thermostat wasnt opening until boil, that is too late.

Capture.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom