1982 FJ40 2f motor timing cover seal leakage, Harmonic Balancer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys.

I found a leakage at the timing cover front seal and when I pulled the crankshaft pulley (harmonic balancer) it look excessive worn down to me, and I think this is the cause of the leakage. What do you guys recommend me to do?

Have someone used the speedy sleeve from SOR?

Its better to find an used Harmonic Balancer? mine has 3 grooves because I have factory PS and AC.

There is a direct replacement?

pictures attached of the worn down harmonic balancer

IMG_4151.jpg

IMG_4152.jpg

IMG_4153.jpg

Yikes. You can speedi sleeve that but in your case it may be too far gone. That is usually the result of a mis-set timing chain cover and/or improperly installed front seal.

That’s what i thought, those pulleys are expensive though, has someone used tpi4x4 they have a replacement in an affordable price!!!

I think you could fill the grooves with JB Weld, sand smooth then install a Speedi sleeve over that and it would likely hold for many years. The JB Weld would support the sleeve where the grooves are. Just the sleeve alone is not likely strong enough to bridge the gap for long.

www.rockauto.com has balancers too. Not sure how their price compares though.

Nick

I think you could fill the grooves with JB Weld, sand smooth then install a Speedi sleeve over that and it would likely hold for many years. The JB Weld would support the sleeve where the grooves are. Just the sleeve alone is not likely strong enough to bridge the gap for long.

www.rockauto.com has balancers too. Not sure how their price compares though.

Nick
Excellent thanks!!!

My guess is no. Too hot to not mess it up. They are cast or forged carbon steel?
Yeah, I don't know. It would be interesting to see. I have always been curious about saving machine parts like that. As many trucks as I have worked on my experience with machine shops and machining is very limited.

Mark @65swb45 will definitely have what you need. Also try the MUD Classifieds.

TPI is fine.
Can a machine shop do anything with that? Weld it and then turn it maybe?

Does anyone know what the OD is on the HB Input shaft (or the ID of the Speedi-Sleeve)? I'm just curious because a replacement HB lists an OD of 1.770 and I'm getting a reading of 1.779 on my old HB which probably has some wear. Is that enough to cause a seal issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom