Builds 1982 Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You may have seen my other post, but this is the second mini I bought. These things are great!

Overall, she is a solid truck. BUT, you're going to see a longer list than the other truck I picked up. Does it need it? No, but I think I'll keep this one for longer, so want to enjoy the fruits of my labors (and dollars). Overall, very little rust, runs ok, and leaks some. All that being said, it's such a cool truck. So, here's the build/restoration plan.

Mechanical: The 22R is reliable, but that's about it. So, hoping to breathe some life into it and come out the other side with a more reliable truck.
  • Desmog: I know this is a bad word to some, but all that equipment bogs that little engine down.
  • TBI: I'll be adding a TBI system that should add a little pep to its step.
  • Seals and Gaskets: ALL OF THEM.
  • Hoses: MOST OF THEM.
  • Power Steering: It's been a long time since I drove something without PS. I'm going to have to figure it out.
  • AC: I live in the south ... This HAS to happen.
  • Brakes: This is not an immediate concerns, but over time I would like to have something more reliable (larger MC, rear disc, etc.).
Interior: It's not perfect, but not a POS.
  • Headliner: needs to be replaced. I'll do sound deadening for the whole cab during this process.
  • AC: See above. This is a must.
  • Door Cards: The previous owner did what he could, but I believe there has to be a better option.
  • Carpet: It's not original carpet and it bugs me. New carpet is only like $125, so I will have it!
  • Stereo: It sound surprisingly nice for what it is, but I really like music, so this is a must.
Exterior: I love the color! It's got some paint shipping off. I am thinking about some kind or preservation process to keep it looking original.
  • Bed Liner: It has an awful DIY job. I will likely have it sandblasted or professionally removed and redone.
  • Drip Rails: The filler in the rails is pretty dry rotted. I think it will be a good investment for the long term.
  • Mirrors: It has the big mirrors. I'll be going to the smaller mirrors.
  • Suspension: I think it's an old Rancho set up. I'll likely pull it and put in a newer OME or Ironman.
  • Stripes: She's naked. I'll be giving her the SR5 treatment.
  • Tires: I love the wheels, but the tires are crap. I think I'm staying at 31x10.50, but will BFG's.
Just like the other one, there's a few things that will likely happen after I get into it, but these are the big things. More pics coming soon.

1982 Day 1 copy.jpg

Nice truck. I have a red one like it. I know what you mean about the steering. I will be watching what path you take on that.

Nice truck. Looking forward to your build.

Send the mirrors to my house.

When we get to that point, I might take you up on that!

I can't get enough of this truck, but it needs some engine work. Went to adjust the idle, but it's not connected to anything. LOL

1982 4.jpg

1982 3.jpg

1982 2.jpg

1982 1.JPG

I really hate this bumper. Would like to replace it with a marlin-style tube bumper.

1982 Bed 1.jpg

I really hate this bumper. Would like to replace it with a marlin-style tube bumper.
Be aware that those old s***ybult bumpers are highly desirable and worth a few bucks. At least they are in the Gen1 4R world.

Be aware that those old s***ybult bumpers are highly desirable and worth a few bucks. At least they are in the Gen1 4R world.

Really ?!?! It's SOOOOOOOO ugly. LOL

Really ?!?! It's SOOOOOOOO ugly. LOL
Agree. I've run them on three different trucks. Mostly back in the day with s***tybilt was the only option. Now, we have choices.

Great truck! What EFI setup are you thinking about?

As for the door cards and carpet, I wish you luck on the former. Like I said in the BaT listing, 2WD ones were all I could find in blue. Sure somebody may have a set of 4WD ones. In blue? Usable? For less than $400?

Where can you find stock carpet for $125? The carpet is from ACC carpet (actually a distributor) and was quite a bit more. I'd like to know as I have a 80 Hilux 4x4 ( not for sale) that I'll be needing new carpet for.

Enjoy the truck!

As for the door cards and carpet, I wish you luck on the former. Like I said in the BaT listing, 2WD ones were all I could find in blue. Sure somebody may have a set of 4WD ones. In blue? Usable? For less than $400?

Where can you find stock carpet for $125? The carpet is from ACC carpet (actually a distributor) and was quite a bit more. I'd like to know as I have a 80 Hilux 4x4 ( not for sale) that I'll be needing new carpet for.

Enjoy the truck!

Hey man!

Carpets: I've seen them several places. I may use (Cutpile Flooring for your 1977-1983 Toyota Pickup Reg Cab Cutpile | Car & Truck Interior Carpet - https://www.ocautocarpets.com/product/1919/1977-1983-toyota-pickup-reg-cab/1982/Toyota/UGlja3Vw/19191982/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI97L0v7309wIVuoRaBR189gdZEAQYASABEgKHkvD_BwE) or (77-83 Toyota Truck, Standard Cab Carpet - https://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=3985). I'm thinking about going back to blue. My 88 has the blue carpet and I'm kind of digging it. LOL

Door Cards: I agree that there may not be a better option, but we shall see. I may look for a reproduction set, as I don't think there will be any NOS options and something off of a 40 year old truck would be worth damn. I also may reach out to a local interior shop and see if they can replicate the originals.

All-in-all, it's a great truck. Maybe that bumper can offset the shipping. LOL

That's exactly the carpet that's in the truck now. Be forewarned it doesn't look like that when you remove it from the box. It's not preformed or cut to size at all. One big flat piece of carpet and a heel pad attached. I guess I was wrong on the price I had ordered a carpet for the 88 truck I'm building and it has the mass backing.

It's been awhile since posted. I've been between projects (old house additions, new house remodel, buying a business, etc.), but wanted to provide an update. This baby has been sitting in the garage for a while, but needed to be moved to the new house. I was quite worried about getting it started, but it was really no big deal. The battery had plenty of juice after sitting for several months, needed a few pumps of the pedal, and started right up.

On the way to the new house, I just couldn't wipe the smile off my face. I also couldn't stop thinking about what to do with this truck long-term. I keep thinking, but cannot decide. I see a few options right now:

Option 1: Desmog it and get a fresh carb, new seals, and all the other goodies.

Option 2: Desmog and TBI, new seals and all the other goodies.

Option 3: Full on rebuild by a top shop (22RE Performance or similar).

Option 4: Some kind of swap ... GM 4.3, SBC 350, 3RZ ... ???

Would love to hear thoughts from others, as I've never had a mini-truck before. Really see this truck as my weekend driver and something for a fun road trip. My biggest fear is that I get the 22R to a engine shop and they decide it's dead (it has 300k). Really just struggling with the decision.

BUT ... Anyway you slice it, I do NOT regret the purchase @msahr !!!

Well, if it was my truck (and it was, once) 😉 there's no way I'd do any kind if Chevy swap. None. At all. OK that's out of the way.

This truck ran very well and I never had a single issue with cold or warm or hot starting. Since all the vacuum hoses were replaced, and that's a lot of the issues with the older carbed 22rs, it helps a lot.

I always thought it ran plenty strong and with the 5-speed it makes a huge difference.

There's a lot of info on engine swaps for these rigs. I'm guessing you've done swaps before so you know it will cost twice as much and take twice as long as estimated.

I swapped a Weber 32/36 onto my 20R 1980 4x4 and I kind if wish I hadn't. It's been a nightmare of chasing issues. It's pretty much dialed in now, but I'm not sure I'd do it again. The Aisin carb is actually pretty good, but they just wear out and some parts aren't repairable.

EFI has come a long way since I threw a Chevy 4.3 throttle body on my 2F in my Land Cruiser a while ago. I'd consider a standalone ECU system with the 22R. That little truck doesn't deserve a 350 v8 or even 4.3 v6.

Hey, you asked. 🤪

Glad you're liking the truck.

I've had two 22RE's go over 450K miles and my 88 had 440K when I sold it to another guy. With the proper gears for tire size the 22R is plenty. That truck is NICE! And like was mentioned about the Smittybilt bumpers. VERY desirable to people for period correct builds. And that one is NICE. I get that it's not your style but, I assure you SOMEBODY will want it.

I've only had one carb'd 22R on an 87 and it ran really well completely stock. Maybe find someone that specializes in that OEM carb? I also get why you would want FI on a 4 wheel drive. It's YOUR truck though so build it like you want.

Whatever you decide on is going to need to be dialed in. Stock, aftermarket or FI. Good luck with your build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom