1982 Build Thread

You may have seen my other post, but this is the second mini I bought. These things are great!

Overall, she is a solid truck. BUT, you're going to see a longer list than the other truck I picked up. Does it need it? No, but I think I'll keep this one for longer, so want to enjoy the fruits of my labors (and dollars). Overall, very little rust, runs ok, and leaks some. All that being said, it's such a cool truck. So, here's the build/restoration plan.

Mechanical: The 22R is reliable, but that's about it. So, hoping to breathe some life into it and come out the other side with a more reliable truck.
  • Desmog: I know this is a bad word to some, but all that equipment bogs that little engine down.
  • TBI: I'll be adding a TBI system that should add a little pep to its step.
  • Seals and Gaskets: ALL OF THEM.
  • Hoses: MOST OF THEM.
  • Power Steering: It's been a long time since I drove something without PS. I'm going to have to figure it out.
  • AC: I live in the south ... This HAS to happen.
  • Brakes: This is not an immediate concerns, but over time I would like to have something more reliable (larger MC, rear disc, etc.).
Interior: It's not perfect, but not a POS.
  • Headliner: needs to be replaced. I'll do sound deadening for the whole cab during this process.
  • AC: See above. This is a must.
  • Door Cards: The previous owner did what he could, but I believe there has to be a better option.
  • Carpet: It's not original carpet and it bugs me. New carpet is only like $125, so I will have it!
  • Stereo: It sound surprisingly nice for what it is, but I really like music, so this is a must.
Exterior: I love the color! It's got some paint shipping off. I am thinking about some kind or preservation process to keep it looking original.
  • Bed Liner: It has an awful DIY job. I will likely have it sandblasted or professionally removed and redone.
  • Drip Rails: The filler in the rails is pretty dry rotted. I think it will be a good investment for the long term.
  • Mirrors: It has the big mirrors. I'll be going to the smaller mirrors.
  • Suspension: I think it's an old Rancho set up. I'll likely pull it and put in a newer OME or Ironman.
  • Stripes: She's naked. I'll be giving her the SR5 treatment.
  • Tires: I love the wheels, but the tires are crap. I think I'm staying at 31x10.50, but will BFG's.
Just like the other one, there's a few things that will likely happen after I get into it, but these are the big things. More pics coming soon.

1982 Day 1 copy.jpg

Nice truck. I have a red one like it. I know what you mean about the steering. I will be watching what path you take on that.

I can't get enough of this truck, but it needs some engine work. Went to adjust the idle, but it's not connected to anything. LOL

1982 4.jpg

1982 3.jpg

1982 2.jpg

1982 1.JPG

pappy

photosynthesizing
I really hate this bumper. Would like to replace it with a marlin-style tube bumper.
Be aware that those old s***ybult bumpers are highly desirable and worth a few bucks. At least they are in the Gen1 4R world.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Really ?!?! It's SOOOOOOOO ugly. LOL
Agree. I've run them on three different trucks. Mostly back in the day with s***tybilt was the only option. Now, we have choices.

Meatdawg

SILVER Star
Great truck! What EFI setup are you thinking about?

As for the door cards and carpet, I wish you luck on the former. Like I said in the BaT listing, 2WD ones were all I could find in blue. Sure somebody may have a set of 4WD ones. In blue? Usable? For less than $400?

Where can you find stock carpet for $125? The carpet is from ACC carpet (actually a distributor) and was quite a bit more. I'd like to know as I have a 80 Hilux 4x4 ( not for sale) that I'll be needing new carpet for.

Enjoy the truck!

As for the door cards and carpet, I wish you luck on the former. Like I said in the BaT listing, 2WD ones were all I could find in blue. Sure somebody may have a set of 4WD ones. In blue? Usable? For less than $400?

Where can you find stock carpet for $125? The carpet is from ACC carpet (actually a distributor) and was quite a bit more. I'd like to know as I have a 80 Hilux 4x4 ( not for sale) that I'll be needing new carpet for.

Enjoy the truck!

Hey man!

Carpets: I've seen them several places. I may use (Cutpile Flooring for your 1977-1983 Toyota Pickup Reg Cab Cutpile | Car & Truck Interior Carpet - https://www.ocautocarpets.com/product/1919/1977-1983-toyota-pickup-reg-cab/1982/Toyota/UGlja3Vw/19191982/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI97L0v7309wIVuoRaBR189gdZEAQYASABEgKHkvD_BwE) or (77-83 Toyota Truck, Standard Cab Carpet - https://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=3985). I'm thinking about going back to blue. My 88 has the blue carpet and I'm kind of digging it. LOL

Door Cards: I agree that there may not be a better option, but we shall see. I may look for a reproduction set, as I don't think there will be any NOS options and something off of a 40 year old truck would be worth damn. I also may reach out to a local interior shop and see if they can replicate the originals.

All-in-all, it's a great truck. Maybe that bumper can offset the shipping. LOL

That's exactly the carpet that's in the truck now. Be forewarned it doesn't look like that when you remove it from the box. It's not preformed or cut to size at all. One big flat piece of carpet and a heel pad attached. I guess I was wrong on the price I had ordered a carpet for the 88 truck I'm building and it has the mass backing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom