1981 wiper motor brushes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, attached are three photos of the wiper motor and internal workings. I have three ?'s

1) are the brushes any good and is there a suitable replacement?

2) Can the nylon insert (holding the three contacts) be removed, or is it permanently attached?

3) what is the best way to clean the junk off the housing?

I measured the brushes, there about 0.17 inches wide, couldn't measure the height.

Cheers and thanks!
IMG_3716.jpg
IMG_3719.jpg
IMG_3720.jpg

Places like Ace Hardware (at one time) sold brushes like that (generic ones). I presume you have checked Toyota? You may be able to find a junk wiper motor from a different year, and pirate the brushes from it. In many western states, you'd rarely find the brushes worn out in a wiper motor.

I doubt that the nylon piece holding the contacts is intended to be removed.

Those brushes look pretty damned good to me. I replaced the ones in my 1977 wiper and they were much shorter than yours are. Don't know for sure on a 1981 though. You can order brushes online. If you search there are a couple of threads about it.

I checked for you.......specifically this thread :

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/105066-windshield-wiper-motor-rebuild.html#post1816286

If the brushes touch the armature when it is installed then your brushes should be working fine. Looks to me like you have plenty of brush left.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom