1981 HJ60 Build... with a Barra? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Love it man! My tired old 3F comes out this month to start my barra swap up in Townsville, QLD.

I'm going with a BA motor and an FG sump. Same dellows bellhousing with an NPC clutch. I honestly hear nothing but bad things about the dellows kit and it's the only bit I'm concerned about.

The price for a nice N/A setup is so hard to beat.

will you have to deal with emissions testing once you complete this swap?

Not emissions, but there are registration requirements that have to be met - assuming he is going to get it "engineered" (officially approved).
Some people try to keep it under the radar........

A roadworthy test in WA is not a difficult thing, but it just has to be right, and an engine swap in particular has certain things that must be met. For instance, it is a lot harder to get an older motor passed in a newer car - trying to put say an SBC where an LS was is heavily frowned upon, but putting an LS where an SBC was is liked. (This is partly to do with "cleaner running" newer engines)
Then if you upgrade performance they like to see better braking (He said he was doing brake stuff also, so that should be no problem.)

Talk nicely to the inspector and they give you good advice. Rarely does a car pass the first time, because there are all sorts of little things that they pick up on - worn wiper blades, tears in the seat (put on seat covers and they don't look under them!), any sorts of oil leaks etc.
We are fairly restricted as tow what we can do without an inspection, but mods can be passed with reasonable ease, and once p[assed you are all good.

We are only allowed to lift 2" total here (including tyre diameter, so if you get a 2" suspension lift you technically must run standard diameter tyres!). You can go higher, but it needs an inspection and engineers report. Most of time the police don't fuss unless it is extreme or you are being right doofus and mouthing off at them.

Hey Noot - I will be keeping my eyes on this thread, and on the lookout for you once you get it out there.👍

I've not long been speaking with my own engineer in QLD about a similar swap. He pretty much said very similiar to you Skellibert.

Pretty much only really wants to see an adequate brake performance increase (no measured brake testing) and good quality welds to tick the box for LA2 modplate code.

Hows the swap coming along mate? I literally just signed up to this forum to post I have an FG barra swapped 60 series Over on the east coast shes been running sweet for almost 2 years now. I didn't do the swap but i got it off a local bloke to me a couple of months after he finished the swap.

Keen to see how your swap goes!

139344016_2809137849311059_8550018379189439707_n.jpg

Hows the swap coming along mate? I literally just signed up to this forum to post I have an FG barra swapped 60 series Over on the east coast shes been running sweet for almost 2 years now. I didn't do the swap but i got it off a local bloke to me a couple of months after he finished the swap.

Keen to see how your swap goes!

View attachment 2992499
I remember seeing this for sale on marketplace. Looked geat. What gearbox was it running?

I remember seeing this for sale on marketplace. Looked geat. What gearbox was it running?
It's got the H55F with the dellow conversions bellhousing kit.
It's been a great rig absolutely no issues with it mechanically. Did have the fuel pump die on me but being an external bosch 044 was an easy one to replace.

@Noot if you have ay questions or need to see some pictures of how it's all sitting in the 60 let me know I'll try and help out as much as possible

It's got the H55F with the dellow conversions bellhousing kit.
It's been a great rig absolutely no issues with it mechanically. Did have the fuel pump die on me but being an external bosch 044 was an easy one to replace.

@Noot if you have ay questions or need to see some pictures of how it's all sitting in the 60 let me know I'll try and help out as much as possible
I'm not Noot buuuuutttt. Any photos of 044 location? Throttle pedal bracket?

I'm not Noot buuuuutttt. Any photos of 044 location? Throttle pedal bracket?

Haha all good you'll have to excuse the mud I got new tyres since going wheeling but haven't given her a bath yet :rofl:
so the fuel pump and the surge tank are tucked up under the drivers side rear guard.
As for the bracket I'm not sure it kinda looks like a custom job

278780912_1390576211460197_8018354575236206981_n.jpg

278782363_1425528901249917_6929281761392260985_n.jpg

278872783_1157281708363344_1878915284755927799_n.jpg

Hi guys, I also have a barra swapped FJ62 which I completed a couple of years back now. The original car was a 3f and A440f 4 Spd auto, I am now running an fg xr6 N/A engine, zf 6 spd auto and 80 series transfer. Absolute pleasure to drive, no choking on cold mornings, plenty of power and economy plus cruise control :) can’t go wrong.

Hi guys, I also have a barra swapped FJ62 which I completed a couple of years back now. The original car was a 3f and A440f 4 Spd auto, I am now running an fg xr6 N/A engine, zf 6 spd auto and 80 series transfer. Absolute pleasure to drive, no choking on cold mornings, plenty of power and economy plus cruise control :) can’t go wrong.
Hey mate I'm interested to know how she goes on fuel?
I have a territory as a donor

Hey mate what economy is the barra getting? I'm thinking of doing a barra swap

I’m getting about 13L/100km with the fg xr6 N/A and 6 speed with mix of hills and flats on everyday driving
Awesome,can't get much better than that.
Thanks for the reply mate👍looks like I'll be researching all the bits I need to do mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom