1981 FJ60 stock alternator replacement input requested (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All! I've been poring through the years of alternator posts and have learned much about the differences between the housings (2 tab, 3 tab), pros & cons of higher amp models, etc. I'm not running anything extremely demanding and have been fine with the stock alternator to this point. I'll be adding a four tame LED pods, one in each corner, and a small bar up front but that's about it. I have a dual battery configuration so not worried about excessive draw at this time. At 267k miles it's finally time for a replacement. Has anyone used one of the ProAmp rebuilds from Tucson Alternators?

For a 1981 FJ60 would the internal regulator be at the 2:00 position or 10:00?
Recommendations are welcomed and thank you!

I have an '85. I know through experience that the 10:00 position didn't work for me. The placement of the integrated voltage regulator prevented the alternator from pivoting towards the engine enough to remove/install the V-belt. But the EPC lists three different alternators for FJ60s--40, 45 and 55 amp. Any physical differences (diameter of pulley or body) may change my experience.

@2mbb Thanks for the reply! I'll be calling the shop to ask questions before buying anything but wanted to ask for advice on here first. Info like yours goes a long way in steering me down the right path! There are a number of posts that discuss upgrading to higher output so am curious if I want to do that or not. Adding beefier cables to the battery, starter, ground, etc. wouldn't be a bad thing regardless of which amperage I choose but am concerned about cooking any other wires with higher output

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom