For Sale 1981 FJ40 - Summerville, SC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay, at the risk of having a good deal bought out from under me, or me buying something that's been pieced together I'm needing some expert opinions on an FJ40 I've been looking at online for a couple months. For an "1981", I'd expect it to have ambulance doors instead of the this older style rear door. I haven't been to see it in person but the dealer is not willing to budge at all on the price. It's a Venezuela import, I found the import documents online and it was imported into Miami on Feburary 2018 and listed as a 1981. It has disc brakes up front. Without having hands on it, I don't know what the body condition is... solid or solid Bondo.

I did a search and don't think this one has been discussed before.

Used 1981 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr Wagon 4-Spd for Sale in Summerville SC 29483 Buyers Choice Auto Center

The last one of these we had in my shop was a "fully restored" South American import....there were 2 good things.....the soft top was beautifully made and the seats were nice. The rest of the truck was a total disaster. In nearly 20 years of being in the automotive business, I have never had to have a customer sign a waiver stating that he understood the car was unsafe to be driven from my shop. It was insane what was done and not done to that truck. I doubt a single nut or bolt was tight. Every leaf spring was different....none of them for a Toyota either. I couldn't even make a list of what it needed...it was something like, "everything needs repair". It would have taken at least $10-15k to get a handle on the big stuff on that truck....so it could be driven safely. He had paid $25k. He was concerned that his Bluetooth stereo didn't work. Not concerned that the driveshafts were loose though. Crazy.

Be very very careful. Find a good Toyota shop in the area and let them have a look. It will be the best $2-300 you will ever spend. Online pics will show you shiny paint and that's about it.....

Thanks, this thing has been for sale for at least 4 months... which tells me something. I'm looking for an FJ40 but not in any hurry... I've got a project 1965 Chevy C10 to finish first.

Find yourself a good US truck. There are plenty out there. You'll be way happier.

There was one down the street from my shop at a buy-here-pay-here type place....the removable top was welded to the tub and then body filler was put over the weld. Ha. It was unbelievable how bad it was. And of course it needed everything. Shiny paint....nice seats. Typical. The guy had it for at least a year. I bet he thought he was going to cash in with it......he must have given that thing away or put it in a dumpster.

I bought my 1979 HJ45 from this dealer about a year ago. Australian RHD. I could not get any background other than it was restored to fund a mission trip. The dealer did replace a clutch slave cylinder two days before I came to test drive it. And he did promptly refund a $400 mistake in payment- I paid part cash and part credit card and realized after I got home it didn’t add up correct. The odometer was stuck and didn’t realize till I got it home- the tenths only moved. Other than that the truck was in pretty good shape except for the tailgate which I think has Bondo and the weatherstripping and broken door handle both which I replaced. I already bought a replacement tailgate from Kevin in Canada.

This dealer sells a lot of Landcruisers. Not sure where he gets them. He was easy to work with and arranged truck transport.

I noticed on this FJ40 that the odometer does not match the dealers description.

61hawk,

You're not at risk of someone here buying out from under you.

It seems that many greedy folks, especially in the Florida area, some in Texas, have jumped on the Central/South America import bandwagon. Heavily used/abused trucks from south of the US border are being gussied up with a new coat of lipstick and some good local upholstery, quickly imported, and then hustled off to the next Gringo buyer who is often impressed by the shiny paint/heavy clearcoat. To a knowledgeable person there are many telltale signs of a below-the-border truck.

I'm sure there very well may be some few very nice ones from there--not impossible..............but typically what you will see arriving here is a disaster, in so many ways. Yes Land Cruisers originally imported into the US can also be abominations, but usually not so blatant.

Your best bet is to read--read as much as you can on this Mud website. Continue to be sceptical. Don't be lazy--go actually put hands-on if you think you might actually purchase a truck--gain some experience by investigating. Most of all, be patient and don't settle for something less than what you want--spending a little more for a good example will work out better for you in the long run. Lastly, after you do a good amount of research/reading, ask a few questions here--you will find most members are full of many good suggestions and advice.

And know this--the real experts won't waste their time with someone who won't take the time first to gain some knowledge.

Good luck to you.

Thanks everyone for the advise. Just a little background, this isn't my first old vehicle purchase, 61hawk comes from my 1961 Studebaker Hawk which was purchase with most of it in boxes and a full frame off restoration done. I'm currently working on a 1965 Chevy C10 pickup (big window, factory air). Currently drive an '89 Grand Wagoneer. I've wanted an FJ40 for quite a while and as I suspected my suspicions may be true on this one, but like it's been mentioned I won't know until I go actually look at it. I'm not going to throw the dealer under the bus, it seems that he has a history of selling imports and the dealership reviews are good. I doubt I'll make a special trip down to see it right now, but may swing by if I'm in the area. Thanks again.

I have to agree with the members here. You're not missing anything. Another import and there are many to choose from. I'd wager there are more imported 40 series trucks in the US now than US spec trucks. Certainly more for sale. I'd suggest you read over this page on my website. Land Cruisers WorldWide . Good information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom