1981 fj40 Power Steering Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can I use my manual steering box housing and install mini truck Power steering inside the manual box?
or Do I have to buy 4410726030 housing for mini truck box?
Is mini truck will fit into 4410726030 ?
Thank You
Tufan

1647267798276.png

Would have to search the part numbers to she if your asking the early mini truck axle with a solid axle. And the 40 series housing is the 79+ 40 series power steering housing. I do know your manual box can not be converted power steering.

Most people buy an aftermarket pedestal for the minitruck box and replace the OEM manual box and pedestal. On an '81 your steering shaft will be 3/4" too long, but there are ways to shorten, shim, or fix it.

Yes, the mini truck 4wd PS gear internals will transfer over to a FJ40 PS housing (not manual). Change the seals/o-rings while you are at it, there is a kit. I did mine a couple years ago.

@SuperDuperCruizer did a nice writeup here:

Last edited:
I understand you are not asking about the pedestal but others reading may want to know so here it goes: The way ps gearbox geometry on the mini truck sits on the rail is not the same as a fj40. So a "pedestal" is used so to match up with the fj40's oem setup. When you compare the two ps assemblies it becomes pretty obvious a pedestal is a cheap way to get powerstering.

Now to your first question, the answer is a no to the manual steering gearbox question. If you want to keep the OEM setup, the best way is locate the original ps gearbox but logistically they hard to locate as you already discovered and very expansive when you do. The fj40 ps casing 44107-26030 is still available. Mcgeorge toyota had the best price the last time I checked. And there is gasket/ o-ring kit available. You also need a toyota 4x4 mini truck steering box as a donor but once you get it you will notice the steering geometry does not match up but the ps gear box's internal hardware is identical. So look for for an 82-85 4x4 that has the the solid axle, not the IFS type. There are earlier years that will work but the return line hole is a smaller diameter. You can also look at 4runners for a donor. If you have the original 81 block it should accept the fj60 ps pump and bracket. The 60 cooler will not fit but I have managed to rebend them to fit in the frame rail. It's not pretty but it looks good enough. If not source one from your local junk yard. Just make sure you don't get one that is restricted.

Idid a search for a rebuild kit, 04445-35040. A 4x4 mini will be easier to get if you don't go oem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom