1981 Fj40 power steering conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Gents , newbie here so pardon the stupid questions and incorrect terminology. trying to find the correct tie rod end for drivers side pitman arm to steering rod ( steering rod if terminology is incorrect is the bar that is linked to pitman arm via tie rod and goes to passenger side tie rod and bolts the two rods together) did my best explaining that . trying to find the appropriate tie rod end for a 40 steering rod that will link to a 60 pitman arm and have a hole for steering stabilizer in the tie rod end.. someone posted a moog es3543.. bought it, got it and it didn't work.. any other suggestions?

I’ve seen an FJ70 end used. For the 2 that I’ve done, I’ve run 4 plus weld in ends, 60 TRE and 60 steering arms. If I’m not mistaken, doesn’t the 81 FJ40 have the steering arms that are able to be reemeed to 60 size?

Here’s a decent thread:

I used the 60 end on mine. Cut the drag link, grafted into a heavy wall pipe with plug welds. Probably not really recommended from engineering point of view. They get a bit touchy about steering components.

It's a pain as 40 series are shorter in length.

that is definitely an option.. i haven't explored that option in depth yet.. i was hoping to find a tie rod end that would fit right in and just log the part number for maintenance. currently the drivers side end i have on my forty is a stock steering rod with at ie rod end .. wonder if anyone knows the thread and pitch of that end.. was going to call moog tech support but i don't have enough info at this point to get the answer i need.

thanks to JDC and Tony.. all options and perspectives are appreciated and helpful.

You would be lucky to find a drop in. Fact 60 series are a wider vehicle spoils it.
I seem to recall one of the 40 series tie rod ends was slightly longer and would fit but has incorrect hand thread.

Hello Gents , newbie here so pardon the stupid questions and incorrect terminology. trying to find the correct tie rod end for drivers side pitman arm to steering rod ( steering rod if terminology is incorrect is the bar that is linked to pitman arm via tie rod and goes to passenger side tie rod and bolts the two rods together) did my best explaining that . trying to find the appropriate tie rod end for a 40 steering rod that will link to a 60 pitman arm and have a hole for steering stabilizer in the tie rod end.. someone posted a moog es3543.. bought it, got it and it didn't work.. any other suggestions?

Marlin Crawler will make custom tie rods, maybe they can make one with a 60 drag link end for the pitman.

PB280853_LI.jpg

Just found this photo of when I converted ours (About ten years ago)
You can see how much beefier the 60 pitman arm is. The problem here is the tie rod thread from the 40 series is not long enough.

thanks Tony i deleted the relay and mounted my box up front on the frame rail just being the radiator on drivers side rail. Matti says the series 70 tie rod end will fit .. just gotta check the years to see if any variations. Hey Matti what year 70 series did you source the tie rod end for your 42? thank for the help guys.. ill post some pics when i get back down to the garage.

I just measured a 93 model HZJ75 troopy draglink (relay rod) and it looks really close.
I plan to redo mine this way as not like anything non standard around steering.
I'll probably buy all new components as available at reasonable cost.

So I measured the diameter of the male forward thread that goes into the steering bar that goes from drivers to passenger side.
The diameter i got was 16mm and thread was forward thread (not reverse thread) is that the diameter and thread direction of 45044-60H03.Could you also please take a caliper measurement of the shaft that goes in to pitman.. if you can. maybe slide down the rubber a touch if you squeeze in the caliper.. unless you have the old end laying around to measure. I am trying to make sure this will fit into the fj60 pitman and thread into my Fj40 bar.
BtW thanks again to ToNy Matti and JDC. This is going to save me months of trial and error at the rate things are shipping these days.. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom