1981 Emergency Response Landcruiser from Australia RHD HJ47 - Quarantine Overland Rig Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Hello all!
It's long overdue but here is our build that we started during quarantine.
We were lucky to get this rig from @Paraglider to turn it into an overlander for our climbing and snowboarding trips.
Huge thanks to this forum for the wealth of information.
Still a long list to get through but she's in the wild now.

IMG_3290.JPG

IMG_5064.JPG

IMG_7575.JPG

IMG-2950.JPG

IMG-2951.JPG

20200521_190844.jpg

20200725_165206.jpg

20200815_095302.jpg

20200815_101630.jpg

20200815_113833.jpg

Would appreciate some help on our long to-do list:
- a good source or solution for adding AC? I searched but have not found a good solution for our RHD diesel rig.
- left side floor gets pretty warm from the exhaust. Not sure if anyone has a mod for that. Maybe a different heat shield?
- wipers don't return home when turned off. They just stop in position. Not sure if it ever was supposed to or if I need to fix it.

Sadly, I cannot offer any advice, but just wanted to say what a lovely family project this is--and it looks to be going great!

Have you considered an exhaust wrap?

Would appreciate some help on our long to-do list:
- a good source or solution for adding AC? I searched but have not found a good solution for our RHD diesel rig.
- left side floor gets pretty warm from the exhaust. Not sure if anyone has a mod for that. Maybe a different heat shield?
- wipers don't return home when turned off. They just stop in position. Not sure if it ever was supposed to or if I need to fix it.
As for the wiper, had the same problem and turn out to be a defective wiper relay in my case. (Water ingress)

I would second the exhaust wrap, failing that some heat shield fastened to the floor should help.

awesome thanks for the advice! I'll check on the relay.

I'm pretty sure we have to change our tie rods and steering shock absorber because they move quite a bit and wanders. While I was checking, I noticed a lot of buildup on wheels. Is this normal or should I be doing something?

20220206_141710.jpg

You’re starting to get the classic “birfield soup,” where the inner axle seal starts to fail and the diff oil mixes with the grease in the birf. The solution is a knuckle rebuild.

Yep. X2 on knuckle rebuild. Lots of info on this site for instructions.
Damn fine job on everything you guys have done - congratulations!

haha that's a great idea. I wonder if there are any compact/efficient units that would blend in with the look of the rig.
really hope I can figure it out before the summer. last year was rough.

Has anyone had experiences replacing the front driveshaft? Our cv joint ball seat wore out (universal joint feels good) so we had to remove it.
Driveshaft shops won't rebuild it. Was looking at Tom Wood's for a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom