1981 BJ42 Edic issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys.... Well on my 81 BJ42 Im having issues with fuel control relay clicking and messing with the idle ONLY after having been run for awhile and being warmed up. It starts and runs fine till it gets warmed up. I stop at a set of lights then I have to keep it revved up or else it'll stall. I changed out the relay with used one and it didnt do it anymore but when turning key off, the truck would stay running... So I switched out relay again with another used one and guess what...starts ticking again after being warm.... Same thing original did.....any suggestions would be appreciated....thanks Neil.

To eliminate an oil pressure issue have you hooked up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to see what your cold/hot and idle/high rpm oil pressure is?

Oil pressure senders all good?

Have you checked and confirmed all your ground straps in the engine compartment are good: Engine to frame, batteries to frame (replace as needed).

Sometimes grease migrates on the EDIC motor to the contact disc and makes for a lazy or non-functioning EDIC, but this does not sound like it would be your issue (worth eliminating as you work down the list though).

If you type in the search term "funky chicken" there will be some good threads to read through with more ideas.

hth's
gb

Hmm oil pressure sender is a used one I put on as previous one didn't work at all and had not pickup for a wire... Also it shows the oil pressure is super high all the time....

All the wiring is new but haven't checked anything just yet either.....

Pull the wire off your oil pressure switch (not your oil pressure sender for the gauge) and see if the problem persists..

Then work from there...

:beer:

That sounds simple....now just to find out where the switch is....lol.

The two are on the exhaust side of the block close to each other...if you do a search there is a post that shows the 2 different units and their location on the block

Last edited:
Hey guys so I used the original edic relay and pulled off the oil pressure switch went for a drive and truck continued to do funky chicken after warming up. So I plugged the switch back in started looking at all the ground connections....wire going to the alternator...nut was half off....tightened it up went for a solid drive last night and NO MORE FUNKY CHICKEN!! Thanks for all the helpful advice gents. Now if I could just get it to stop blowing black smoke while driving.... Lol.

...... Now if I could just get it to stop blowing black smoke while driving.... Lol.

Does it have a high idle-RPM too? If so, and if you also don't know when your injector pump diaphragm was last changed, the cause may be a leaking diaphragm.

Or perhaps someone has wound out your "fuel-stop-capsule" to increase your maximum fuel delivery in an ill-advised attempt to gain more power in which case you could try winding it back in 1/4-turn at a time and test-driving to check for improvement.

Or perhaps one or more injector has a low opening pressure or perhaps your injection timing is too far advanced?

Does it have a high idle-RPM too? If so, and if you also don't know when your injector pump diaphragm was last changed, the cause may be a leaking diaphragm.

Or perhaps someone has wound out your "fuel-stop-capsule" to increase your maximum fuel delivery in an ill-advised attempt to gain more power in which case you could try winding it back in 1/4-turn at a time and test-driving to check for improvement.

Or perhaps one or more injector has a low opening pressure or perhaps your injection timing is too far advanced?

Hey lost marbles....thanks for the advice...idles seems OK. I actually took truck to specially shop where I'm from to deal with the smoke while under load and they checked all the settings and said they were good. So they put some sort of fluid to clean injectors....didn't do a Darn thing.... So I went to same shop yesterday to buy the diaphragm and told the owner what was going on as he'd forgot what they had already done (and charged me for) and he said "it's the easiest thing to check and all it takes is a little pinhole" I didn't even bother asking him why they didn't do that first when I brought it in....anyways I'm gonna install this week or next as soon as I get the prelude seats I also bought yesterday installed....

They could check to see if your old diaphragm is indeed leaking prior to taking anything apart (so you'd know in advance whether the replacement is likely to cure your smoke problem).

There are hoses connecting each side of your diaphragm to the main throat of your intake manifold and you can disconnect one and gently blow or suck (depending on which hose it is) through it to see if there is a hole that's allowing a through-flow.

(A radiator-pressure-tester can be used instead of one's mouth for this purpose.)

It was a few weeks ago when I got them to check on smoke issues so now I'm gonna figure it out. I'll certainly do the hose check before I get too carried away... read another thread where you went into more details on checking the diaphragm. Might be able to check tonight...You are a wealth of knowledge Lost Marbles. Many thanks.

Honestly if you don't know when was the last time it was replaced .. for 40 bucks or less, open it and replace it ( diaphragm )

Hows your fuel consumption?

Hows your fuel consumption?
Well as far as I can tell it's awesome....compared to my 2f it seems as if the needle barely moves. I actually thought the gauge might have been busted. Lol. I've never actually figured out my mpg as I've only had the truck for a couple of months and it's been out of commission due to both 3Rd member swaps and having at mechanics to give it a once over....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom