1981 4X4 LB PKUP ?'s (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why did you paint over the stripes? That's one of the coolest color schemes (I am biased I have a red one).
I agree-but only if you keep it in near mint condition. With the age of the truck and paint condition from weather and use, it wasn't looking so sharp anymore and - I never intended to use it as a show truck. I had to do some minor body work on PS front fender after a spotter guided me into a rock-wall on an obsticle.:rolleyes: I decided to lose the stripes. Yeah, it's not cool as the original - but for my use, it works just fine. I actually still get compliments on the looks - which is ok to me. Mostly admirers of the vintage (1st gen solid front axle) and the "can't break it" heritage of the Toyota Mini. I'm just thankful to have one to drive as I please and not worry about scratches or dents, if you know what I mean....;)

Did you ever figure out what type of Weber carb it is? IIRC I had to pull mine off to see the model number at the base of the carb.

Sweet First Gen.
This post is more of an update than an answer to this question from 7 yrs ago...lol. Anyway I originally assumed it was a 32-36 DGEV and had purchased a rebuild kit that has been sitting on the shelf until a few days ago. Ever since getting the truck and driving it I assumed the gutless personality was just something to live with being it was a 4 cyl & had some armor....steel bumpers, sliders & winch. Well, I had 2 surprises in order - 1st being that it is NOT a 32-36 DGEV. Upon disassembly, I immediately noticed a difference in the main gasket from the 32-36 kit, compared to the one in the carb. I finally ID'd it as a 34 DGEC and it is not fully a Weber carb. This one is built by Weber North America, has Interco & Solex parts and influence. With the digging I was able to even find a rebuild kit for it. Took it apart and cleaned and blew out all passages and jets. Installed the new parts from the kit. Now the 2nd surprise - not so gutless! Matter of fact 5th gear does not require downhill and a tailwind anymore! Definitely not HP, but I can live with it easier, now.

The other major development is not so good. Yep, front drive shaft woes. I had it rebuilt - new u joints and CV back in 2011 and it's been fine. The PO had it come apart on him, so I didn't want the same thing to happen. Kept the zircs lubed and made sure there wasn't excessive play developing in it. Well, I towed it to AZ and back earlier this year and on the way back somehow the transfer lever got bumped out of neutral to 4H at some point. That's what I'm guessing because last time I used 4wd it was fine. Well, I was out in my yard and noticed something hanging right where the drive shaft was located. Well the yoke was hanging from the front diff and only the flange & 1/2 rear u joint was on the transfer case - middle of the DS & VC was gone - lost along the road somewhere! This is all that's left:

I've done some searching on mud for sources for replacement DS's and looked at some suggested sites, but am a bit confused with how to order. I'm thinking of eliminating the CV. The flange to flange is 20 5/8". I'm not looking for anything radical - just want the 4wd back. Any ideas would be appreciated!

IMG_0778.JPG

Last edited:
Updates for my front DS to share. support@davezoffroadperformance.com finally got off TDC near the end of October 2018 with a reply to my request for a used front drive shaft. Some kind of mixup with the owner or staff going on vacation and losing my emails...whatever. Anyway, after originally getting a quote of $100, and waiting for 3+ months, I scraped out of it at $180 with shipping.

I also realized what did in the drive shaft. It was putting the transfer case in neutral. Being used to flat towing my 80 series, that was the procedure, being full time, the drive shafts are only locked together when you engage the CDL or if the VC is malfunctioning. However, when installing the drive shaft on my Mini I discovered that the front output shaft on the transfer case was locked....WTF, I've got the transfer case in neutral....it shouldn't matter what the tranny was in (of course I had the parking brake on) ....WRONG!!! This is a basic part time transfer case and even in neutral the drive shafts are locked together. The only mode they're not locked, is in 2WD or 2 High. So, I had been flat towing my Mini for literally thousands of miles unknowingly spinning the front drive shaft. The front hubs were "Free", so I was at least not binding up the drive train. Hopefully, someone else reading this won't make the same mistake.

I flat towed my CJ7 all the time, but with my 4Runner I’m going to use my trailer. It’s a bit of a double edged sword. Less junk to deal with when flat towing, but way less potential for catastrophic failure and damage to the off-roader using the trailer.i May have a tire or bearing go out on the trailer, but that’s pennies on the dollar compared to taking out a transmission or dif or? while flat towing. Added bonus is the ability to back up easily.

I flat towed my CJ7 all the time, but with my 4Runner I’m going to use my trailer. It’s a bit of a double edged sword. Less junk to deal with when flat towing, but way less potential for catastrophic failure and damage to the off-roader using the trailer.i May have a tire or bearing go out on the trailer, but that’s pennies on the dollar compared to taking out a transmission or dif or? while flat towing. Added bonus is the ability to back up easily.
Those are excellent points. Plus with a trailer, as long as you can get the rig on it, it'll tow home - no matter what shape it's in. I don't have room to park a trailer at present or I'd probably have one.

Those are excellent points. Plus with a trailer, as long as you can get the rig on it, it'll tow home - no matter what shape it's in. I don't have room to park a trailer at present or I'd probably have one.

That’s right, if you can winch it on, you’re good. I restore vintage Airstreams for a living, so already have (at present count) 9 trailers in my yard. We have two acres so they fit just fine, but if I ever need to move in a hurry, it’ll be interesting...

Sold this truck today....sorry to see it go, but as much as it sat around due to other priorities, I couldn't justify keeping it. I had some good times and hit some awesome trails with it. It was a very capable and handy truck to have, for it's age. I will definitely miss it. 😢

I’m sure it was tough to let it go. Hopefully the new owner keeps it moving forward!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom