For Sale 1980 Troopy with Pop-Top in NM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sale Pending

I've been dragging my feet for ages now, but since the truck never gets used I've decided to sell it. This troopy has a Trakka pop-up roof, sleeps 2 adults and 2 kids, seats 6, and is awesome for camping trips. I imported it from Australia about 5 years ago. Quick specs follow and I'll update the post with more info soon. I will also have this at the Rising Sun swap meet this weekend if you want to see it/drive it there.

Drivetrain:
1980 HJ-45 NOT diesel.
Older, carbureted 350 V8
Toyota 40 series power steering (RHD)
H55F 5-speed Transmission
LX rear axle with parking brake at wheels
Air-conditioning added. Ice cold a couple years ago but compressor was very noisy, so I disconnected it.
Ironman (I think) suspension with 33x9.50 BFGs on chrome 60-series rims.
Includes 4.11 and 3.73 diffs.
Long Ranger fuel tank (~49 gallons total capacity IIRC)
Brand new Die Hard Platinum 34/78 battery

Body:
Original 416 Dune Beige paint with not a lot of rust. Needs a new paint job.
I patched some holes that had been cut in it--for lpg, water tank, and air cleaner which I don't have, and a couple little rust spots. All were new steel welded in, I have not put any body filler anywhere. I spray painted the bare steel until a proper paint job is applied. It has some rust in the windshield frame and an ambulance door and a few little spots in the tub, but overall is pretty clean.
Warn 8274 winch on ARB bull bar (with grill guard cut off).

Poptop:
This is the reason I love this truck, but we still don't manage to use it. I know of only 4 Trakkas imported to North America, I think this is the only one set up to sleep 4.
Top is almost invisible when down, pops up in seconds with release of 4 spring hooks and hydraulic struts hold it up.
Allows ~5'9" of standing room with top up.
Bunks 2 adults up top.
Jump Seats have a table between them or table can be used with seats to make a bed for shorter people.
Has 2 ~6 or 8 gallon water tanks that mount under the rear fenders. Only 1 is mounted because the filler for the Long Ranger is in the way of the other. They feed to a sink in the cabinet in the back with electric pump and gravity feed from a drain underneath.
I removed the other cabinet for the stove, but I have it included.

Interior:
Front seats are from 1992-ish 4runner, tan cloth
Part of sleeping bunk is overhead console, has Kenwood stereo and Uniden CB mounted
Dash is clean and original, but I have an '83 dash panel that could be fitted for a newer look.
Door panels are in great shape.
Rear jump seats have brown-ish fabric done by Trakka with matching cushions for the lower bed

We took this to Yellowstone/Tetons a few years ago and lived in it for 16 days with my wife and 2 little girls and had a fabulous time in it. We've done a few shorter trips since, but haven't used it at all this year. It sits a lot and with busy kids I just don't find or make time to work on it. As a result, it does need some TLC. Off the top of my head, that includes:

Paint
The rear is geared 3.73 and front is 4.11. One or the other needs changed.
Carburetor. The q-jet has no choke because it was set up for dual fuel. It is slow to start when cold and is rich here at 7000' elevation, but otherwise runs pretty well.
A/C compressor
Tires are getting old, though they have lots of tread
Probably other little things I'm forgetting.

$15,000.

TroopyPoppedLeft.jpg

TroopyPoppedRight.jpg

TroopyPoppedFront.jpg

TroopyPoppedRearOpen.jpg

Last edited:
This is one of the best cruisers I have seen.
I can sell my two cruisers and Harley and then I can have that in my garage!
Good luck with the sale!

Thanks for all the kind words, I wish someone here would jump on it. The only offer I have is from a flipper, and it may go.

Oh no-not to a flipper- post up the lowbqll price they offered and see if anyone here will match and keep it in the family vs getting flipped

Exactly what bugsnbikes said!!!

PM me the flip offer if you want... I'll see if I match or beat it.
It'd be great for the family.

David -

Sorry to see you are selling this. I wish i was in a position to buy it as I know i has to be a nice one if you've got it. GLWS.

Sam

David - I'm very interested. I'd like to offer a 'forever home' to the troopy. I sent you a PM - Bob

Congrats!

deposit taken

Glad to hear someone is going to give this great troopy a good home! I was close to talking to you to give mine a brother (sister?) but am thrilled to hear that someone is going to enjoy your great rig,

Glad to hear someone is going to give this great troopy a good home! I was close to talking to you to give mine a brother (sister?) but am thrilled to hear that someone is going to enjoy your great rig,

I'm excited about its new home. Stringtwelve has great plans for it and I can't wait to see it come out of his garage. And it will only be about 5 hours away, so maybe I'll get to see it in person sometime and not just here on Mud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom