1980 Toyota Pickup Short Bed - The Toyota of Theseus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The longer bed drawer and bumper have been nice additions for storage more than anything. With the shortbed fuel tank, 12.8 gallon capacity I think, I usually carry a jerry can of gas wherever I go. No more jerry cans bouncing around in the bed. I welded a piece of angle iron and a nut to keep the high lift jack from moving around. I also welded a couple nuts on the swing out so I could install a table when at camp. It's turned into the bar.

Bolt goes through the jack foot to attach the jack to my bracket;
20210208_105951.jpg

A couple nuts;
20210208_110002.jpg

And a full bar for New Years;
20201230_164013.jpg

And fully stocked drawer. Enough room for all our kitchen stuff, dry food, double chair, leveling pads and a bunch of other stuff;
20210208_105939.jpg

Great thread.

I'm still helping my neighbor with his '81 which needs PS but has no lift at this time.

Can you clarify what parts you have on your cross over system as we need to start shopping for parts soon.

Thanks

I also reinforced the front frame and replaced the crossmember the ran in front of the radiator. The old crossmember was cracking in a few spots and the new one has more room between it and the radiator allowing for an aux cooling fan for those hot desert days.

I've bought the front frame brace from Davez and it has the '84+ bolt pattern for a winch plate. I'd like to get a winch on there and keep the factory bumper and valence. We'll see how that goes.

View attachment 2333490

While scrubbing under the passenger door and getting ready for paint some daylight started poking through. It's not pretty, but I filled the holes for now. I'll have to do a real fix whenever I tear apart the interior. I have a feeling this is from water coming in the hole I had in my roof.
View attachment 2333493

And here is Roxy sleeping on the job...View attachment 2333494

I have a bit more wire wheeling, some sanding then paint!

I ordered a new truck shell and took delivery in November ‘18. The Can-Back was awesome, it looked cool and did a great job of keeping wind and water out. But I couldn’t lock it securely and the fabric was starting to fall apart from baking in the high desert sun. We also needed a bit more headroom.

View attachment 2320730

The new shell has been a tremendous comfort improvement. I went with a 24” to 30” rise and side doors. I added RGB LED Lights again, but this time by using some C channel with a plastic cover. The lights look pretty slick now.

View attachment 2320732

I installed high steer 7/19 and it was a pretty straightforward process. By this point I've moved into a place with a proper driveway! It fixed the sloppy steering and the squealing is gone. Unfortunately it brought the tie rod pretty close to the oil pan. Not so close that its always a problem, but I’ve been babying it on fast bumpy roads and it hasn’t hit yet. (I’m working to move the tie rod to the factory location now.)

I used the usual frame reinforcement plates and Sky’s ¾ drop arm. That tucked the tie rod end of my drag link nicely in the curve of the frame. I had to do some notching on the cab and front bumper mount to get the box far enough forward.

With the Toyota Pitman Arm:

View attachment 2320734

With Sky's 3/4 drop arm;

View attachment 2320736

In August ‘19 I regeared to 456 and added a Trutrac up front and a Harrop E-locker in the rear. I was on the fence about a trutrac or selectable locker up front, but I’m really happy with the combo I picked.

My fighter pilot locker switch;

View attachment 2320740
Hey, sorry this reply might be a bit late. But I am in the process of buying an 87, 4x4, turbo hilux and am wanting to live out of the back of it. I was curious to see where you got your shell from? And if you knew of any other brands you'd recommend that have a higher roof? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom