1980 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A013BB33-B796-4D5D-ABD6-6F595F6F63B0.jpeg

Hello, Everyone! Picked up my first Cruiser FJ40. It’s a 1980 and came from South America. I’ll most likely need lots of recommendations and help with future endeavors as this is my very first project!
Hope everyone is doing well and I’m excited to be a part of the IH8MUD Community! Take care, everyone!

-Brock

Welcome aboard, it looks to be a nice 40. What part of Ohio?

View attachment 3170727
Hello, Everyone! Picked up my first Cruiser FJ40. It’s a 1980 and came from South America. I’ll most likely need lots of recommendations and help with future endeavors as this is my very first project!
Hope everyone is doing well and I’m excited to be a part of the IH8MUD Community! Take care, everyone!

-Brock
84B9FA45-202F-4839-8157-3657DE5C2971.jpeg
A6FCBE00-0E1C-4C90-9A57-56D20EB199A4.jpeg
60AEEEFB-1E63-447A-AA72-D6C98C6C328E.jpeg
CFDBFF58-0232-45F4-AD94-6A4040A5C753.jpeg

I didn't know that it was okay to (balance) place weights on bias-ply. I'm sure you could actually balance them, but that rear wheel looks like it has far too much lead or zinc for either good tire construction, or its relative small size. Plus, they are not as static in shape as radials, according to reports, so it would make sense to not place weights on them. I understand why the big ones need tons of weights, but, regular tires usually don't need it as much. I love the look of the treads, but, many of us haven't really seen that bias-ply, in real reality, ever. Is it a Coker brand tire, they do that kind of thing? They are 15" rims?

You need a stud replaced on the front passenger hub. They sieze and brake often. I devote quite a bit of time to making the threads here happy on my own rigs, cleaning until they screw on without tool-torque until the end.

Last edited:
I didn't know that it was okay to (balance) place weights on bias-ply. I'm sure you could actually balance them, but that rear wheel looks like it has far too much lead or zinc for either good tire construction, or its relative small size. Plus, they are not as static in shape as radials, according to reports, so it would make sense to not place weights on them. I understand why the big ones need tons of weights, but, regular tires usually don't need it as much. I love the look of the treads, but, many of us haven't really seen that bias-ply, in real reality, ever. Is it a Coker brand tire, they do that kind of thing? They are 15" rims?

That's just crazy talk. Bias tires, bubble balancers and lead weights have been around long b4 radial tires. A bias tire will become misshapen with the vehicles weight on it and parked for a while. Once the tire is driven for a bit, the tires warm up and they become round again.

You're right about the balancing, I kinda get inprecise with word choice, and I'm fluent in crazy. I was just saying that it looks like there was quite a bit of correction done with the balancing. No flags, just interested.

The story was that the tire shops, they don't do balancing on bias, but, the same shop mounted them - there is no way I'll find the original thread. Either way, never had a bias-ply, not sure I've ever been in a regular passenger vehicle mounted on them.

Around here wheeling with radial mud terrains is a lesson in getting stuck and the lack of control. Bias plys offer deeper tread and bigger lugs. We have to encounter mud and rocks.

I've never got stuck in the current 40. Banged rocks against the spring u-bolt plate, front differential, dented exhaust. 215/75 street-tread pattern. Admittedly, I don't run the truck thru mud if I don't have to. Rather hear the crunch of gravel from the tire.

The problem is that I say that "it works" and more than half of the internet will chime-in, or not.

Last edited:
I agree with @3_puppies , It looks like a chilly ride. My recommendation is not to drive it when the brine and salt starts flying. Mine is sitting in the shop until warmer temps are around. I'm on the east side of Cincy.

How does this have the rear hatch vs ambulance doors? I though my rear hatch ended in 74

Other markets continued well after 74 with a barn doors and hatch. People have also converted ambulance doors to barn door and hatch. But you are correct in the US barn doors switch to ambulance doors on the US market.

How does this have the rear hatch vs ambulance doors? I though my rear hatch ended in 74

Other markets continued well after 74 with a barn doors and hatch. People have also converted ambulance doors to barn door and hatch. But you are correct in the US barn doors switch to ambulance doors on the US market.

plus, it is from central America, so anything goes down there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom