1980 Fj40 wipers in wrong home position. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi team!

Greetings from Australia.

A while back I purchased a 1980 FJ40. It’s had a lot of stuff done to it over the years, so as a result has had many fingers in all her holes :). You never know what surprise you’re gonna get!!

Over the last few months, I’ve been able to work through most things, but I’m struggling with the wipers. when I started working on them the other day, things were nasty. No home return, only one speed, and the squirters weren’t working. I fixed the squirters.

On inspecting motor, I found that someone had resoldered some of the wires. I attempted to resoldered them based on pictures from the internet, but to no avail. So, I abandoned trying to get that motor working.

I remembered I had a wiper motor sitting in another 1980 tub I’ve got, so pulled that out. I connected it all up prior to actually lit Ning it and it all seemed to work fine. I have two speeds, and the motor seemingly stopped at a home position.

However when I mounted it, I’ve found that the home position is out. It seems to want to stop around the middle of the windscreen.

I originally thought I might be able to adjust it either by repositioning the arms themselves, or the mechanism. But if I do that the wipers will dive down into the panels when I switch it on.

I’ve had the other wiper motor apart, so I can see how the home position is “meant” to work.

I’m at a bit of a loss as to how I can move forward with this. Can anyone shed some light on a fix, or maybe some advice as to where I can look next.

Here is a video I took of how they behave.

Dave

Dave with the wiper motor off and the blades in their “rest” spot you should be able to remove the linkage from the motor. Then push or pull the linkage to get the blades close to the bottom of the range of travel.(low point). Then reattach the linkage. You may need to make a slight adjustment where the arms connect , but that should get you close.
I had same issue. Hope that makes sense.
Doseman

Dave with the wiper motor off and the blades in their “rest” spot you should be able to remove the linkage from the motor. Then push or pull the linkage to get the blades close to the bottom of the range of travel.(low point). Then reattach the linkage. You may need to make a slight adjustment where the arms connect , but that should get you close.
I had same issue. Hope that makes sense.
Doseman
Thanks for the reply mate!

I was thinking to do this, however given that they stop half travel (per the video), if I take the arms off when the wipers are “ parked” and move them down…..next time I turn them on the wiper will continue the downward movement…..ie off the bottom of the windscreen.

If you move the arms at their mounting point then yes they will hit. Watch the video and see how the wipers are at their lowest point each time the linkage makes the turn? You want to move the linkage to this spot with the motor at its rest position. That way you are not changing the range of movement-just the position it stops each time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom