1980 fj40 Whats It Worth (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in search of a fj40 and came across a 1980 with a bad engine that was ranned with no oil. It has a hard top, soft top and bikini top. They did a SOA and spring reversal and changed the stock p/s for a chevy.The cruiser has been sitting for 3 years. I wanted to know what you think it is worth so I can make an offer. I have not seen it yet so i dont know of any rust but it is a california truck. I was sent a picture but i an not sure how to post from my phone. It has some body damage under pasenger door. The paint is decent maybee original or repainted a while ago with primered hard top and diamond plating on rear corners. I know picturse would be better and will try to get some. Please give me your opinion on what would be a good offer. I will be sending a link of this thread to the seller so he can know what you think the value of his truck is.

Thank You

Last edited:
Hi mate if you have the app when you reply to a thread there is a little plus sign near the send button top right side it will let you add pics

pics would definitely help

It also has a winch.
image-2-1.jpg

Looks pretty nice, but the possible price range is huge from that one picture. That body damage is pretty minor. No one likes diamond plate. Could be rust under it, maybe even likely. Pretty paint can also hide bad body work or other sins. The right winch can be worth $500 by itself, or worthless. Tires look good. Brand and condition makes a lot of difference in asking price, IMO.

I'm guessing the guy wants $4-5k?

You could get a used 2f put in it for about a thousand or so, wild guess, less if you do the work yourself.

Hi, I noticed the volley ball sticker... Has this been on the beach a lot ? Salt ? Mike

The seller wants 10k but is not sure what it is really worth. I started this thread so we both have an idea of what it is possibly worth. I offered half of his asking price but I think he thinks I am low balling him.
get-attachmentq.jpg

anything with diamond plate assume (90% of the time) theres cancer behind it. need mo info for value; cond of inside floor (rust). dash cut or drilled, number and amount of rust areas, frame rust, etc. value range 3 to 6 grand as is.

if he's expecting 10g for that he's silly... never going to happen unless he can demonstrate no rust behind rear diamond plate or any where else on the rig. and and get it running properly, then it would be worth 8-12g range. my .02

V8 conversions don't fetch as much as stock engines or Toyota upgrades - just sayin'

He's delusional if he thinks he can get $10K for that with a blown engine.

How long ago was the top primered? Primer sucks up moisture like a banshee, that's its purpose so paint can stick to it!

I got mine for 3k and all it need to run was a little wiring and a new carb. I tossed some used tires on it, did some quick painting and am currently working on the top. It's had a 350 and a 4 speed with mechanical shift t-case!

I'd keep looking, took 5 months to fun the deal I wanted. Well worth the wait.
image-2628274142.jpg
image-3129006206.jpg
image-342043334.jpg

I'm not so concern about rust and all that. But with a blown engine, whethter 6 cylinder or if you go with a V-8,m you will easily be putting another 5 grand into it, possibly more with wiring and such.

with a blown engine, whethter 6 cylinder ... you will easily be putting another 5 grand into it, possibly more with wiring and such.

I call BS. You can pick up a running 2f from someone doing a swap for $750 tops and put it in yourself. $1k tops if the rest of the rig is a POS, but is it a 2f?

That guy will be holding onto that for a long time for a $10k asking price. If he does the above-mentioned fix, he could get his $10k easy.

It looks like it's got a shackle reversed front end with no spring compensation for it in the rear.

It looks like a v8? Rare to see a 2f with exhaust like that. It's not clear from the OP. I read that it had a saginaw PS conversion.

In CA, he's in even worse shape. It needs a smog check to transfer title, which means a running, smog-passing engine. If it's in a county that doesn't require a biennial smog check, then the v8 swap probably doesn't pass. In this case it's a pile of parts. Ask him about how he would intend to transfer the title to you.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

Last edited:
I contacted the seller yesterday and he said that it was sold. I asked what he got for it and he said he sold it for 10k but they only left a deposit he then asked if i had a better offer( After he already made a deal he is still trying to sell it for more). I told him no i wouldn't of even gave him that. The truck according to him was his father and he was the original owner and said it still had all the smog equipment. I guess i will keep looking.

ThanK you guys for your help
Vic

unfortunately 40's have become worth whatever the collectors will pay for them. It is good for those who already own one but it will also spell the demise of aftermarket support for the 40. Soon just whatever stock components are left and a few add ons will be available

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom