1980 FJ40 Body and Door Fitment. Doors from another year??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First time poster.
I have been reading the forums a lot over the past several weeks as i recently picked up a 1980 FJ40 with a 4 cylinder b diesel.
I have a lot of things that i want to do with this 40, but i am gathering information now so that i can begin to acquire the parts.
My 40 came with solid doors and a hard top. I believe the doors were form a different vehicle though as the fitment seems off and there is a large gap between the passenger side door and the rear tub of the body. I can actually see the lock strike when the door is closed. Is there a way to ensure the door size is correct for a 1980 FJ40?
Thanks.

This is the forsale area
For people selling a truck

Maybe a person that runs the forums can move it to the right section to help get you a better answer and help keep things organized. People that can help won’t be as likely to see it here.

if you post a pic of your door people can help easier. it is possible someone in the past swapped your doors for earlier ones. The ones made 73 (I may be off a year on that don’t quote me) or older hold up alittle better. Thicker sheet metal gauge I believe

welcome to the forum. It’s a nice place where owners of these type of vehicles help out. Lots of knowledge here from all the peoples experience owning them

This is the forsale area

Maybe a person that runs the forums can move it to the right section to help get you a better answer and help keep things organized. People that can help won’t be as likely to see it here.

if you post a pic of your door people can help easier. it is possible someone in the past swapped your doors for earlier ones. The ones made 73 (I may be off a year on that don’t quote me) or older hold up alittle better. Thicker sheet metal gauge I believe
my apologies on the misplaced post. Also. I will move t
This is the forsale area

welcome to the forum. It’s a nice place where owners of these type of vehicles help out. Lots of knowledge here from all the peoples experience owning them
My apologies. I will wait until the post is moved before I continue or post photos.
Thank you for the quick response.

40 series doors are only one size, so you may have a tub issue? The striker must be spaced out from the tub for it to catch and close?
Ha.
That was it. The body must be misaligned or bend. There are indeed spacers behind the striker. Now I just need to figure out how to realign the body.
Thank you for the quick reply

20200722_065144.jpg

you can adjust the door laterally as well by loosening and adjusting the hinges.
measure the passenger side opening, doors don’t shrink.
Congrats on the BJ40

Hi , Even with a lot of work ,gaps are common. I always figured that when you got in high water it was to let the water out quickly. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom