1980 Distributor Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys...after the other thread...got the truck running and have been driving it for the last 2 months. Then...went to start it one day and it ran super rough and ended up dying. Thought it might be fuel (clogged, etc), and it ended up being the distributor. It got stuck in advance...I think. Thought it just needed to be lubed up...so got some graphite lube and pulled the distributor to lube the weights etc. Re-stabbed it and it started, but the timing was way off. Turned off the engine, but couldn't get it restarted. I think it was stuck in advance again. Pulled the distributor off again and think I may have the shaft on wrong where it connects to the weights. Re-stabbed it...and it wouldn't start. No spark...and I think the points are at .018.

Should the shaft has this kind of up and down movement?

Any help? See videos and pictures.

Distributor Stuck in Advance

Not a lot of spring

Up and down play

Is this right?

The truck is a 1975, but the engine is a 1980. The PO had it set up this way...with a bunch of other craziness. I tried Pertronix and had 2 different Petronix units fail, so went back to points.

That's an F engine vacuum retard distributor, which was replaced by the 2F engine vacuum retard distributor in 1/75. What's the production date of your FJ40?

The vertical play is excessive, it shouldn't be anywhere near that much. I'd replace the distributor with a later 2F distributor. Here's something to read:

@4Cruisers thank you. I didn’t have time this morning to look it up but the picture attached shows when the engine was manufactured I believe.
Any idea where I can get the later 2F distributor?
Thank you again.
964216B5-14C1-4CE8-892F-A0E206BAC2D6.jpeg

The '80 2F distributors are fully electronic, with a dual diaphragm advancer. One diaphragm is for the High Altitude Compensation system, but your '75 doesn't support HAC. If you want Toyota fully electronic ignition, it doesn't really matter whether it's a 2F distributor from '78 through '87, any will be fine, and all work with the same '78 through '87 igniter. All you need is a single diaphragm advancer, but those can be swapped into any of the above. I've refurbished a lot of 2F distributors recently, and have installed single diaphragm advancers in all of them. I just built a '75 2F points distributor, but installed later Toyota electronic ignition. I'm holding it for another MUD member, but if he doesn't want to buy it I'll let you know. Here's my thread with the details on that distributor:

@4Cruisers thanks for the info. How much does your distributor cost? If that would make this thing run better, I'd be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom