1980 Canadian BJ42 Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

A quick introduction and thread kickoff; I'm a mechanical engineer here just outside of Toronto, and I managed to find a project BJ42 for $7000 CAD. Good news is that the previous owner did an entire teardown and hot-dip galvanized the whole frame, and then painted it. Suspension looks clean with a bunch of new parts, and some of you will cringe; but it does have a fibreglass tub. I actually don't mind this; I can't be bothered to fight rust for the rest of my life.

Bad news is that it is literally in boxes. Everything is disassembled. The doors have the usual rust that I have to repair or replace.

So I've lurked here for a bit, and I see that the factory service manual is the go-to for how to assemble this thing. Does anyone have a recent source for this? Is there a good source for hoses, gaskets etc?

It has the 3B engine; any advise for maintenance items before I try to fire it up? I'm used to working with gasoline vehicles; although I've owned a few diesels over the years, they haven't required any maintenance other than oil changes. Should I even attempt to pop out the injectors to get ATF in the cylinders? Does the fuel pump fail? should I just rebuild anything?

Little bit of background on me: I've owned 16 cars in the last 13 years. The longest I've had is a 1971 Datsun 240z that I put an Infiniti VH45DE (V8) in it, with a 300ZX turbo manual transmission. I've worked for two electric vehicle companies, the most recent was Rivian where I was the Senior Development Engineer where I built the two prototypes for Long Way Up, and then I accompanied them on the trip as technical support.

Anyhow, pics soon to follow

Hey simmybinker,

Sounds like a cool project! Where'd you study engineering? I'm probably a bit younger than you (I haven't had the time yet to own 16 cars haha). Where are you located? I'm probably decently close to your area since I'm finishing up engineering at McMaster. I recently got an FJ40 and I'm in the same boat as you, with a whole bunch of parts in bins at this point. I just took mine apart. I do have full manuals for mine (the FJ instead of BJ40) with the chassis and body manual but they could potentially be helpful if you need pictures of pages or whatnot. I would be happy to help as best I can if you're stuck. I also have a lot of wiring for the BJ40 with relay boxes and things that are 24V.
If anything, its cool to meet cruiser owners around working on their builds! Feel free to send me a message!

- Emil

Last edited:
Heeeeey Emil! I was hoping I'd find some local people. I've got your number now and will text you in a bit, if you wanted to edit your post to remove it (to prevent getting spam from bots).

I'm right downtown Hamilton - near the General Hospital on West Ave N. Got a big ol' 5-car garage in the back that I built with infloor heat and a hoist! My 240z is up on the lift, and I've also got my friend's Datsun 510 with an RB25 +turbo.... I also have a robotic 50mm gun turret that shall destroy any intruders that may get the wrong idea from reading this thread >:|

I graduated from Queen's back in 2008 - I'm an oooold fart (only 35). Back in those days turbocharged Volvo 745 wagons were my jam. I was a GD terrorist on campus; drifting every single corner I could get into. You'll find me on IG at simmy_binker

It'd be great if you'd like to drop by to help out with the BJ45 build. I've also got a few newer projects on the go that you'd probably dig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom