1980 BJ40 White Smoke of Start up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any suggestions on why my BJ40 smokes so badly when I start up after a week of not running? If I light up the glow plugs so the indicator on the dash shows red a buzzer sounds for a few seconds then once the truck has run for about 15 seconds the smoke is gone. I do need to give it some significant throttle to get it to start but it does start first go every time. Mine is 24v if that makes any difference. If I start run it up to temperature then start it the next day there is very little white smoke but a puff or two of black soot on start up. I have changed the glow plugs but a farm plant mechanic friend suggested that the power to the glow plugs may be low so that they are not really working very well?

White smoke suggests water. One possibility is crankcase vapor recovery system. Worst case--cracked head or head gasket.

White smoke suggests water. One possibility is crankcase vapor recovery system. Worst case--cracked head or head gasket.
Thanks for the suggestion, interesting idea but how do I check it out.
I have no signs of oil in the radiator water, undue water consumption or pressure pushing the water out of the radiator I hope that makes a cracked head less likely.

White smoke can also be a air fuel ratio issue. Not enough fuel and too much air. Have you done a compression test on the motor? It might be time.

White smoke can also be a air fuel ratio issue. Not enough fuel and too much air. Have you done a compression test on the motor? It might be time.
The Compressions are all even but i can't remember what the values were. Never the less it does not use any oil between services. Perhaps I have an air leak in the injector system?

Mine does the same thing but worse when cold. During the summer I only have a few seconds of smoke. I started a cold start diesel thread so people could compare thier starts. Check it out and add a video for the gallery to give their input.
Cold Start Video Thread

To do a leak down test you need a way to pressurize the cooling system. Then you monitor it for both leaks and dropping pressure. If the pressure drops and you have no visible external leaks then it would have to be leaking/bleeding off internal to the motor. Any automotive shop will have the test setup or you can buy one. They are not that expensive. You can probably find a decent one for under 100$

Air leaks don't typically go away when the engine is warm.
To do a leak down test you need a way to pressurize the cooling system. Then you monitor it for both leaks and dropping pressure. If the pressure drops and you have no visible external leaks then it would have to be leaking/bleeding off internal to the motor. Any automotive shop will have the test setup or you can buy one. They are not that expensive. You can probably find a decent one for under 100$
Thanks I will add it to my list of tests to do.

Mine does the same thing but worse when cold. During the summer I only have a few seconds of smoke. I started a cold start diesel thread so people could compare thier starts. Check it out and add a video for the gallery to give their input.
Cold Start Video Thread
Thanks Mr Cimarron. It is good to see someone else's rig has a smoke habit too. I will record a video at the weekend and post it next week but mine will be worse however it is about 3 degrees celsius here about 37F.

Have an 85 bj with 3b. It's turbo now, with 2new 850cc amp batteries. @-35c it's starts on a single crank after a double glowing of the plugs. It omits more wt. smoke than I remember other 3b engines I've had,but they hated-30c. A good 10-15min. Warm-up. Still making smoke! Will watch videos that are posted and compare. Timing may need doing etc. @TLC. for turbo tuning and check up. If have info I'll post. Has 460 km. on engine so am shopping for something with lower ks on it.

Have an 85 bj with 3b. It's turbo now, with 2new 850cc amp batteries. @-35c it's starts on a single crank after a double glowing of the plugs. It omits more wt. smoke than I remember other 3b engines I've had,but they hated-30c. A good 10-15min. Warm-up. Still making smoke! Will watch videos that are posted and compare. Timing may need doing etc. @TLC. for turbo tuning and check up. If have info I'll post. Has 460 km. on engine so am shopping for something with lower ks on it.
Thanks. I will video my start up and post it next week when i have a moment. Looking forward to saying goodbye to so much smoke!

Oh yeah. Block heaters are sop here. My 81bj60 had two. When you started it the temp gauge went down. Lol

Oh yeah. Block heaters are sop here. My 81bj60 had two. When you started it the temp gauge went down. Lol
Hi Burbot, Thanks for the advice. Can you send me a link to the block heater you have fitted as they are not standard in the UK. I may be able to either buy something on line create a local version if i can see what you mean.
I suspect you are dealing with temperatures that we have never seen in the UK since the last ice age! Cheers Chris

Funny thing my 82 canadian 42 didnt come with a block heater... Id love to add one but i never could get the exact part# to order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom