1980 BJ40 VIN Plate Help Please... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1980 BJ40 that was originally from Costa Rica. I have referenced the VIN, Engine Code and Frame Number and all make sense, but the Color/Trim and Transaxle/Plant codes do not.

Based on VIN Plate here is what I found from TOYODIY...

upload_2016-11-4_14-56-32.png

upload_2016-11-4_14-57-50.png

All of the above is true and I think that based on interpolation of @lostmarbles engine chart, the engine was produced sometime in early 1979.

So the question is...what the heck does the Color/Trim: 748 mean? I can't find color 748 anywhere! The truck is currently beige to my eyes like this #464 from coolcruisers
upload_2016-11-4_15-8-46.png

Also, is the Z12 number a transaxle or a production plant?? I can't find that number either.

Thanks!

Very possibly not the original color. Definitely was repainted at some point! I am curious what the original color was. I guess the VIN tag could be a fake too tho!! YIKES

I got an odd trim/color vin plate number on mine and after posting, been told it was probably a code they used for bulk purchases by a government department. Has it got the unit number stamped on the fire wall?

I was trying to find the original colour too, and found it was freeborn red (scratch a bit of paint off in a area were it cant be seen and see if there is a different colour underneath.
Have added a post below that had info vin and colour codes. (below)

Looks like Freeborn Red 309. From the mid-70's on, that was the only stock red for Land Cruisers.

The color is not listed on your identification plate because it is not the standard id plate. The plate itself is, but the information is not. Perhaps this vehicle was purchased by some government entity?

There is another like it posted, from an 1983 FJ45, also from NZ. Like yours, the characters are embossed rather than engraved, the standard information is not included, and the unit number is also stamped on the firewall.
View attachment 1266443

Your 1984 FJ40, embossed, non-standard information, stamped unit number on firewall.
View attachment 1266444

Compare to this 1984 FJ45. Same plate, the standard information is engraved.
View attachment 1266450

it was made from a Knock Down Kit(KC at end), so the color will be whatever they used locally

Thanks for your fast replies...checked the firewall and no UNIT ID's anywhere, but being from Costa Rica where there has been no military for 70 years, it is possible it was a gov't truck but not associated with a unit.

I also scratched in a bunch of weird places, like under fender bolts and wheel wells and it sure looks like this is the original color - again repainted.

So, it must have been at Knock Down Kit, originally painted the Beige color and then repainted.

Question for @Landpimp - I am not sure what a knock down kit is, but it seems not so great? Like the truck was shipped crated or something and final assembly was done by someone other than Toyota? Any other weirdness associated with KC??

Correct , shipped in parts often not all, rest was made from local makers , like tops. common in countries where there is a rule that X amount of an import must be made local.

Do not think th KC means knock down.
Found this info on "FJ40 vin #" post regarding someone else's vin no.

F = F/2F gas engine this case a 2F 4230cc
J = Land Cruiser type
40 = body series
R = right hand drive (most cruisers have this designation omitted )
K = 4 speed tranny (H41)
C = swing out rear doors... C type rear doors ... Aka ambi door configured FST since you don't have a V after the R we know its a FST

Search for the thread as it has some good info that may be helpful

@dtbnz that was me who posted that :)

For @Mike Kresser :)
The k is the tranny 4 speed
The c is the rear door config... in this case it's an ambi door hardtop as it has a v for van

You rig was definitely a CKD complete knock down rig ... the vin plate is a dead giveaway ...

They received blank plates and stamped as they assembled the truck

The paint code is theirs

Some parts as stated could have been locally produced parts

There is nothing wrong with it being done this way ... it was toyotas way of selling in these markets and it worked for them

They had many areas they sent CKD's ... their way of getting their foot in the door

Last edited:
@dtbnz[/USER] that was me who posted that :)
Johnny C

Are you talking about mikes truck above or mine (vin picture attached)?
As what you are saying is true for New Zealand Toyota had a assembly plant. At the time the deal was all parts (except body parts which were shipped in large timber boxes ((still have a shed made from one)) had to be supplied locally i.e. Wire loom, seats, paint, carpet, engine ancillary parts, roof lining etc. they then assembled the knock down body parts spot welded, and had their own paint shop which they spayed.
Luckily if they did that with mine, it had local labour, who were proud turning out quality vehicles at the Toyota plant in Thames. Plant closed a few years ago (same as all the other car makers) but they still import second hand toyotas from Japan and put them through a though refurbishment and sell them as signature class toyota's.
Interesting stuff.

Added my vin to the FJ40 registery and asked the same question about the paint code as it did not correspon.
Was told same.

IMG_0686.JPG

ok..feeling better abut the "knock-down"! I think I will re-repaint this rig as it was not what I would call perfectly done.

When I do, I will use standard 1980 Toyota color.

@dtbnz

I updated the post with who I was typing to :)

I didn't realize you were from NZ ... yep lots of places got CKD kits and some assembly plants were good and some not so good

Most early kit assemblies were done in subpar assembly buildings .... South America had some poor areas... used quonset huts ww2 surplus

From what I got ... ECASA Did the Costa Rica assemblies starting in September 65'

Must be subpar as mine came from ECASA missing the AC/Heater/Radio/Roll Bar/Disc Brakes and Power Steering!! (sarcasm) :):)

Thanks to all for the depth of knowledge and willingness to share it with a nooob.

@Mike Kresser we like to share well with others :)

Purdy Motor had been importing Toyotas for several years (56-57? First year) ... the founder of Purdy setup and started ECASA Because of domestication laws in the early 60's

It's a whole interesting story how they started in ca ... look into the history of Purdy and its owner

By 1980's they were building about a half dozen different cars ... Amc and toyota

@Mike Kresser you see ... subpar is right ... amc was the bottom of the barrel :)

However they probably built better quality cars then the parent Usa amc company lol

I´m afraid I´m late for this Thread but I have some additional info about it.
I have the same color trim you have and it's not beige at all. It's blue. Dark blue actually… Anyway I´m investigating in order to find a correlation with international color codes from TOYOTA but I´m finding nothing yet... I´ll come back with the info once I find it.

PLACA BJ40.png

I´m afraid I´m late for this Thread but I have some additional info about it.
I have the same color trim you have and it's not beige at all. It's blue. Dark blue actually… Anyway I´m investigating in order to find a correlation with international color codes from TOYOTA but I´m finding nothing yet... I´ll come back with the info once I find it.

View attachment 3453022
Thanks! I had long since given up on understanding the color codes. Despite the fact that my wife is Costa Rican and I even attempted to get some information down there directly from Purdy who still controls every Toyota that comes into the country. As near as I can tell, the paint on these "kit assembly" cars could vary widely and would not follow any official Toyota colors for the given year. The color may just be whatever paint the assembly folks had available at that time. My strategy is to just get a good painter to color match when/if I repaint. I can even get color matched touchup paint if I send in a painted part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom