For Sale 1980 BJ-40, 3B engine, turbo, full roll cage, (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1980 BJ-40, 3B engine, turbo, sale or partial trade, NORCAL

Rare 1980 BJ-40, originally from Costa Rica. Non NA, Warm climate BJ-40 with no AC/heater and no amenities other than aftermarket stereo/seats. Designed by PO for safety and reliability. 3B diesel engine - originally a "b" type engine but replaced by PO to "3b", PO purchased 3b from company in Canada (unk. miles/km on engine when installed but known to last upwards of over 500k plus); owner installed Nissan turbo, custom aluminum (appears to be four core) radiator with thermostat controlled electric fan; 4 speed, 4wd, 12 volt, stock gears (i believe 4:11, no lockers), locking hubs, after market 4 wheel disc brakes w/large dual master w/booster, Iron pig off road skid plate (have original), Proffitt's Cruiser designed and installed full family roll cage (attached to the frame in four places) and rear tow bumper with tire/ hi-lift jack carrier; interior has sprayed in liner, aftermarket front seats with four point seat belt, original rear toyota jump type seats (not installed- have to adjust mounting due to full roll cage); runs great. ARB front bumper with Warn 8274-50 winch. Front turn signals were removed. Front LED turn signals are in the ARB bumper. Original miles (km speedometer) may be over 54, 000 km. Runs great. California registered and legal. PO had purchased BJ through importer in California. PO lived in NM. Also had been registered and titled in NM.

Body: original body, looks great but appeared to have been redone (body worked). Per PO bodywork probably done in Costa Rica. Body looks good. Has some areas that could be sanded down and smoothed over. Two front fenders have rust where side steps connect to the fenders. I have two good mid 70 era fenders, hood and grill that will go with the BJ-40. Roof is in great condition no rust through. Rain gutters are solid. D/P front doors are in great condition. Does not appear to have any body work. Very minor surface rust, if any under rubbers gasket. The ambulance doors are in great condition. The driver side has a dent on the exterior side toward the bottom. Overall body is great. Windshield is solid. Remember it is a 30 year old vehicle.

Tires are off brand 33x12.50x15 mud terrains with about 3/4 left. Rims are "Weld" rims 8x15". Tuffy center console. EGT/Boost and new water temp. gauge. Has rear engine seal seep. Horn/windshield washer container and emergency blinkers do not work.

Extras: Best top "sail cloth" full top. Power steering pump, gear box, pulley and brackets for 3B power steering. The rear parking brake, which is connected to the rear of the transfer case, works but is marginal at best. LC will come with the attached hi-lift jack.

The BJ-40 also has aftermarket leaf spring packs which lifts it about 2" to 2 1/2". There are "pro comp" shocks. There are braided (stainless steel?) brakelines at each caliper/disc brake. Stops very well. The 40 is no speed demon but can keep up with traffic (Especially with the turbo). Would probably have better acceleration and top speed with 4.56/4.88 gears or 30" to 31" size tires. Lots of low end torque. Also should note that the manual steering gear box seeps. I never worried about this because I was planning to eventually install power steering (p/s parts are included in the purchase of the BJ-40).
Priorities have changed and I want to modify my FZJ-80 instead. Not desperate. Just an extra, unique vehicle.

Additional extras: For full price it includes: H55F and transfer case for Toyota diesel B series engine. New clutch/disc kit. Special rear brake drum for back of transfer case so rear brake works better. (Also may be taking off the hardtop to put on the soft top for the summer.)

Have additional photos. Please email to: kz195688@yahoo.com Thanks.

$18,500.00/ OBO or trade plus cash
DSC00689.jpg
DSC00691.jpg
DSC00737.jpg

Last edited:
Bump for a very nice foreign 40! :cool: Thanks for showing it in-person. It definitely rekindled an obsession with eventually owning a smog-exempt diesel Toy in Cali. Wish I had the room and a different situation that might allow it. Good luck with the sale!

BTT

BTT please.

Did I mentioned that it drives great and comes with other items such as: new rubber/gasket kit for hardtop, H55f 5 speed trans/transfercase with rebuild kits (for B engines). Clutch kit. power steering box/brackets/double pulley from 3B engine to install power steering. Also it is registered and legally in California!! Just that makes it worth while.

Feeedback requested.

I know there have been a lot of people viewing the listing but no takers or comments. Any opinions concerning price, condition, location, anything. I know the economy is still in the tank even though some people say differently. Just don't like seeing the BJ40 parked without anyone driving it.

Would be nice to know if I'm off base on what I am offering and the price. Not a common land cruiser in California or the US. Have receipts from former owner showing over $30,000.

I have extras as listed plus factory manuals. Also rear factory jump seats. :cheers:

added cash or trade

willing to trade for something in comparable price range. send me some pics of possible trade or offers. worst that could happen is it does not work out because I don't want what you have or we can't settle on a trade and cash. I won't insult you (at least not on this form :) Thanks.

Since you asked...

And no offense meant - the opinion stated is that of me and I may be an idiot...

I think your price is pretty high due to the possibe high mileage, the repaint job and lack of badges, known body work and unknown driveline history.

I have seen rigs like this go for around 8-12K and those were ones with heat and other amenities. I am not trying to degrade your rig, but just wanted to let you know what the market has put on these rigs for pricing.

HTH.

K

It's gonna take the right buyer... but I believe the price to be a good starting point for an offer. anything below $12-13K for something like this is a steal IMO- I am seeing gasoline fj's going for just under that, but good luck with the sale! It also depends on your area, are there a lot of these around there or near?

BreckenrigdgeCruiser, thank you for your assessment. I wanted to start somewhere on price and with all the parts that I was including I thought it was a decent price. No offense taken. I guess I just need to find the right buyer. I did not want to deceive anyone and included everything that I thought should be disclosed. The body is good to fair but I can tell there was body work and I don't want anyone to come by thinking it was pristine. I don't know anything about the kilometers other than it has over 54K and may or may not be the original or rolled over miles. Thanks for responding.

DieselFumes, I have seen other listers in the Diesel form that claim California as where they are from. I don't believe these are very common in the Northern California area, but I may be wrong. Economy is slow and people are not buying except for the CEO's of major corporations, but they probably don't drive LC. Thank you both for your information.

make an offer.

BTT please. Someone needs a diesel 40 in California. Make me an offer the worst that is going to happen is we won't agree on the price and we both walk away. Look at all the extra parts:

1. H55F trans and transfer case with rebuild kit for the trans/transfer case
2. Clutch replacement kit with pressure plate.
3. new rear parking brake drum with special nut to mount traditional parking brake in same location.
4. soft top made by best top out of sail cloth to minimize noise.
5. original 40 rear seats (pair).
6. r/l front fenders, grill, hood from later 70's 40
7. rear tailgate to use when using the soft top.
8. other misc parts, such as 3b and b manifold
9. the ability to tell your envious friends that you have and drive a diesel BJ-40.
10. for the California crew, a legal, registered, non smog, diesel 40 in California.

additional items

forgot to add:

11. Vintage air - heater with blower, new in box.
12. BJ-40 manuals, engine, body.

offer

Moving to the East Coast hate to take out of California, hate to long term store. Somebody in Cali needs to keep and drive this 3b turbo diesel BJ-40 in California on the west coast. Offers? Very limited on trades because I would hate to tow another vehicle. Thanks. :D

80-BJ-40

After spending a couple of hours at the Bureau of Automotive repair here in good ole' California trying to decifer the regulations for a diesel swap makes me appreciate a registered diesel here in Cali. If only I had a few more $$$ I would give this baby a new home. I have talked to the current owner and I can assure you he is a stand-up guy.

Mike

I'm glad I didn't offend. Your price is not that far off when I reviewed the list of parts. If you can, you may have more luck if you sell the truck and the parts seperately. I know the h55, power steering kit, and vintage air would sell quickly on their own. With that out of the picture, it may bring the price to a more managable level for a larger group of people in todays economy.

I already have an h55f to install (i'd love the rebuild kit though) and the vintage ir and steering wouldn't fit on y RHD or I'd make an offer!

Good luck!

price reduction.

Ghetto Fireman and Breckenridgecruiser thank you. I have posted it on the SF Crigslist for $16999.00 with just the H55f trans/transfercase in addition. If any mudder wants to buy it for $16,500 I'll include all the parts I have listed in this add.
Better act quick because I'm looking at Ebay. Thanks again.

Diesel-40

Still trying to convince my boss that this would look great parked next to my 45.:D It's her birthday tomorrow, what a great gift idea.:grinpimp:
photo002.jpg

Mike nice 45. If you can convince the "birthday boss" I'll abide by the price I had told you. Good luck and happy birthday to your spouse.

Sell the H55 and rebuild kit by its self

parts

Kling-on, I want to hold on and sell as a package. I have some interest from Craigslist on the BJ40 and the H55F. I'll keep you in mind if I only sell the BJ-40 and I still have the H55f. I may post the package on ebay and then it depends on how that works out. Thanks for asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom