craigslist 1979 TOYOTA FJ 40 LAND CRUISER Chattanooga TN- (Tan Hardtop) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Not mine but looks like a good one

-------------------------------------------

1979 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser. New transfer case. Rebuilt transmission. New clutch master cylinder. Spare working transmission. Transmissions are both 4 speed. Spare tire rack not mounted. Vehicle is in good running condition. Body has rust spots and is going to need resto work. Vehicle can be a daily driver as is. Not interested in trades.

00Q0Q_et60UvFbgFA_0CI0pO_1200x900 1.jpg

00u0u_kxxx9ftbOvM_0CI0pO_1200x900 4.jpg

00v0v_1mvEEi66y2e_0CI0pO_1200x900 2.jpg

00x0x_kI62o8VpRoX_0CI0pO_1200x900 5.jpg

01414_97kjNPCZmwr_0CI0pO_1200x900 3.jpg

more

01212_gNDWX24GJ7A_0CI0pO_1200x900 6.jpg

Craigslist add says $16,500

In pics 4 and 6, it looks like the VIN plate is missing. Do you have a title for it? If so, does the title match the VIN# on the frame?

Seems like a fair price.

Good luck with the sale :)

Craigslist add says $16,500

In pics 4 and 6, it looks like the VIN plate is missing. Do you have a title for it? If so, does the title match the VIN# on the frame?

Seems like a fair price.

Good luck with the sale :)
It is not his..:)

Wrong bezel for a US 79 model
I do believe that's because it's a 78 - has the squared bottom corners on the amby doors.

not all 79's are true 79's
the 1979 change over didn't happen until Jan 1979, all 40's sold in the US up thru Dec 1978 were still a 1978 model but being it was sold after Sept 1978 it became a 1979 model.
gas tank inside, full trans hump, different seats, square bezel, small bolt pattern front axle, 4:11 ratio, block not drilled for PS pump, black interior bits versus grey, raised seam below the A pillar, etc

this rig has had some work done, no bolt holes for the spare tire carrier, and it has plates instead of hinges on the windshield frame,

Last edited:
and it has plates instead of hinges on the windshield frame,
I've never seen plates before, I wonder why anyone would do that

If it doesn't have a title or a VIN plate, I would be very skeptical of it.

The license plate is a GA tag. It is listed for sale in Chattanooga and the map on CL shows a Tenn location. Also, the number on the van parked next to it is a Chattanooga business. Why is it registered in GA???

I live in GA and you don't have to have a title for anything that is older than 20 years. All you need is a bill of sale written on a napkin. You can get anything registered in GA :).

I have bought and sold a dozen classic cars and I have looked at hundreds of them. It amazes me how many people in GA just don't care about a title. Sellers and buyers, don't even bother to change the title and once it is lost, it is pretty much gone forever. Unless it is a parts car, I wouldn't buy most cars without a title (no matter how old it is). In my opinion the value significantly decreases without a title.

I've seen some pretty questionable vehicles hear in GA, especially FJ40's. They are easy to take the tub off of one and put it on the frame of another. and old cars and trucks are easy to move VIN plates.

I wonder why the VIN plates are missing? Someone who would take the time to restore it to that nice of condition would know the importance of keeping the VIN plates with the vehicle.

If I had to bet, I would say this one was owned by a "shady flipper" sometime in it's past. Maybe not the current owner, buy sometime previously.

I am not saying that this is a bad FJ40, I am just saying if I were thinking of buying it, I would be asking a few more questions and doing some homework.

All that being said, the owner is honest about the rust and it seems like a fair price.

I've never seen plates before, I wonder why anyone would do that

they were available on FJ45lp's non removable top models 64?-67 the original lp's had the windshield frame connected as 1 unit with the cowl, later lp's had the holes for hinges but you couldn't lower the windshield as the roof did not come off, so plates were used to make the connection

I had a friend of mine go look at this one a while back when it was for sale by the guy in Atlanta (thus the GA plate)...for $13,000 and it wasn’t selling. My friend found good sized rust holes in the floor below the passenger seat and said that something had a terrible bearing whine at speed. There was also what looked like a good bit of rust hiding beneath the cowl panel from the pictures he sent me - I will see if I still have them and share.

It didn’t seem that this person in TN did much other than buy it, put a 4 speed in the cargo area for pictures, and then posted it for sale about a month later for $25,000 (originally). From the ad he did have the transmission built so that could’ve taken care of the whine...it may be too early for me to be trying to type a coherent message. My friend and I have been working on old vehicles for years so I trust his opinion, he didn’t want any part of it because of potential rust issues hiding beneath the paint - this is the same guy that also bought a Mazda rotary pickup from NM and shipped it cross country because he didn’t want to deal with rust at all, so please keep that context in mind.

The GA owner told me that he wouldn’t take $10k for it at the time so I’m not sure what the current seller may have gotten it for, but it sold about a month or so after I called on it.

I had a friend of mine go look at this one a while back when it was for sale by the guy in Atlanta (thus the GA plate)...for $13,000 and it wasn’t selling. My friend found good sized rust holes in the floor below the passenger seat and said that something had a terrible bearing whine at speed. There was also what looked like a good bit of rust hiding beneath the cowl panel from the pictures he sent me - I will see if I still have them and share.

It didn’t seem that this person in TN did much other than buy it, put a 4 speed in the cargo area for pictures, and then posted it for sale about a month later for $25,000 (originally). From the ad he did have the transmission built so that could’ve taken care of the whine...it may be too early for me to be trying to type a coherent message. My friend and I have been working on old vehicles for years so I trust his opinion, he didn’t want any part of it because of potential rust issues hiding beneath the paint - this is the same guy that also bought a Mazda rotary pickup from NM and shipped it cross country because he didn’t want to deal with rust at all, so please keep that context in mind.

The GA owner told me that he wouldn’t take $10k for it at the time so I’m not sure what the current seller may have gotten it for, but it sold about a month or so after I called on it.
I would be willing to bet the current owner bought it, brought it back to Tenn and could not get it registered so he is trying to get rid of it.

Just my 2 cents

Is this rig still available?
It is not for sale here on IH8MUD... It was listed by someone else on Craig's List. I have seen it on FaceBook Marketplace several times over the last couple months for several different prices. Last time I saw it, it was on FB a couple weeks ago for $19,500.

You could try calling the number on the truck parked next to it (423-498-3988... i think).

Good luck :)

Last edited:
I grew up in Chattanooga and it is right on the GA line so the GA plate doesn't bother me that much, nor does the no title (depending on the seller/situation). Here, I don't know the situation but to register in Hamilton County (where Chattanooga is) from GA with no title, you have to have a notarized bill of sale and the current registration. Also, that registration has to be so many days old (I think 60 but might be 90). Also, Hamilton County has emissions testing, so this could be an instance of not being able to pass it and the owner just wants to pass the vehicle along. That said, it takes alot to not pass emissions in Hamilton County. I've taken 2 very modified 944 Turbo's through, a diesel 45 through, and my brother has taken his 911 with no catalytic converter through with no issues. Again, not sure of the situation here but the title might be the least of the issues. Also, I would likely pass at that price just because it seems very cobbled together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom