1979 Rear of tub Removal - help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to remove rear of tub body mounts so I can replace them and replace the rear cargo floor panel. Can’t find a thread showing how to do so on a 1979. Can’t see any way to access a bolt that holds it in place. Or is there one? There are 4 like this, two on the rear sill. I can see the bolts on the rear sill, but not these. Anyone have experience with these?

CB6F3634-4A86-4954-AD03-A61A62F8D756.jpeg

I suspect there is just a locating lug or maybe a rubber nipple on the top side of the rubber mount in your picture. I recently replaced the rear crossmember/bumper on my 79 and to aid in getting the bolts out of rear most mounts jacked up the body a little, maybe 3/8 of an inch. When I did those forward mounts lifted with the body, there was no attachment to the frame. So remove those rear bolts and you should be able to keep going on your project.

There are no bolts holding those 4 down. There are 6 proper body mounts (with bolts). 2 underneath the rear sill, 2 near the center of the tub (right underneath the fuel filler neck on passenger side, similar location on driver side), and then 2 up front in the floor pans where they begin to angle up (one on both driver and passenger side). I'll go get you a pic in a second.

Here are some pictures to help you.

20210314_145029.jpg

Those are proper body mounts located underneath the rear sill. You can see those other pucks are just resting there, and are usually sandwiched between the floor panel and frame.

20210322_223312.jpg

I’m about to tackle this too on my ‘79. I assumed there was a bolt holding it as the rear passenger mount on mine is not contacting the frame. I couldn’t see how it would be fixed though. Must be just stuck there from age. I’m going to take a piece of scrap wood and a mallet to it.

82F6CD3F-6E4C-4896-8994-10A52E66BD43.jpeg

I believe there is a little indent/nipple that holds it in place from the top, but nothing crazy. Probably held in place by a little bit of rust or something.

Those pads (at least on my body - which is currently completely detached from the frame so I'm able to get at it from underneath, and have recently (difficultly) removed one of those four body mounts...) are attached to captured nuts within the stiffening rails of the tub.

I can't imagine how one would get them off without raising the body significantly away from the frame.

Now, it's completely possible that somewhere along the way some PO attached the pads to the body in a way that isn't typical. But again, mine are attached by what seem to be M6, Philips-head bolts that are molded into the rubber pads. I tried to turn the body mount/pad in hopes that it would un-thread, but no such luck and I ended up fighting the screw/bolt for a while before I could get one of the mounts off.

I know that's not good news, but hopefully helps you not try to beat the sh*t out of it and wonder why it's still attached.

HTH, TDC.-

If you look closely at @TheOneKnownAsMe post, I think you can see one of the captured nuts - with the remnant of a rusted-in bolt still in it, where it probably ripped away from the pad, giving the impression that the four discs are just sitting there. They're certainly attached to the body...

thanks for the answers guys. I just got my CCOT replacement floor panel and it looks like there are some captive nuts in those locations. I wondered if the mounts are attached to the floor side and just resting on the frame. Sounds like, Yes. I planned to replace the body mounts while i do this project. I was going to use Daystar body mounts though I read modificiation is required to do so? - anyone used Daystar body mounts before? I also read on a thread somewhere OEM are still available, but I cannot find them.

@TheOneKnownAsMe looks like you are doing the same project I am, where are you sourcing your replacement steel? Unfortunately mine is in bad shape around the perimeter and into the corrugations which would be hard to replicate, so I ended up just getting the whole floor panel. I am having to do some patching on my wheel wells but should be able to save them.

Just noticed you are in Logan, I lived there for 10 years before moving to Star Valley.

thanks for the answers guys. I just got my CCOT replacement floor panel and it looks like there are some captive nuts in those locations. I wondered if the mounts are attached to the floor side and just resting on the frame. Sounds like, Yes. I planned to replace the body mounts while i do this project. I was going to use Daystar body mounts though I read modificiation is required to do so? - anyone used Daystar body mounts before? I also read on a thread somewhere OEM are still available, but I cannot find them.
The small mounts attached to the body are 52208-90300 for 25 bucks each at your Toyota dealers online store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom