1979 FJ40 PS, AC - $49,900 (ouch...!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for a good condition (restored?) ‘79 or later FJ40. Can do wrenching and have good garage space, but short on free time. Been looking for a few months and am still going through sticker shock. Saw a nice ‘79 on land cruiser nation -
79 FJ40 RED1 - but the price seems $&&”)$@. Two questions - is this really the price range for a low miles FJ40? Any warning signs or issues you can see on this truck (>100 pictures posted).

This could be a slow and expensive process...

Greg is a stand up guy who has been around a very long time. He has nice stuff. If I was buying something in that price range, I would not have an issue buying from him versus some one else who cuts corners and hides things.
1979 with PS and A/C is a rare bird, that also commands a higher price.
I met him years ago at BHCC.
just my opinion.
@overton

Greg is a stand-up guy and has brokered three Land Cruiser deals with/for me. I would trust him implicitly. Yes, that's an expensive truck (21K miles is exceptionally low), and if you want a '40 to rack up the miles and go 'wheeling, this may not be it - he's got others (or typically does).

Price is high, but is a very nice truck and all you have to do to it is add gas and ride.

Amazing - two testimonials for Greg and a sense that the price is within scope. Exactly the info I was looking for. Now to save a bit more money...

Greg is a stand-up guy and has brokered three Land Cruiser deals with/for me. I would trust him implicitly. Yes, that's an expensive truck (21K miles is exceptionally low), and if you want a '40 to rack up the miles and go 'wheeling, this may not be it - he's got others (or typically does).

I would think it has turned at least once unless miles are documented that low and I missed it, I thought 79 would have the extra digit in the odometer to go higher but it could have started in 80s Ive not been around many later ones.

I bought one that was advertised as 78k miles from someone else (just to be clear NOT THIS SELLER) and within 2 minutes of looking at paper work given to me with the truck it was obvious that was not the actual mileage but wasnt a deal breaker for me. Gauge clusters dont mean much without paper trails on these

On the seller for your post
Land cruiser nation sells a couple of cruiers a year Ive noticed. Never seen any complaints against them or unhappy customers and I even follow their facebook. From what Ive seen the guy hunts for good condition cruisers around the US then freshens them up a bit with small things like tires, seat covers etc and sells them. Ive always noticed an honest description of the truck with them and was close to pulling the trigger last year on one from there but it sold before I could get out to see it.

I always request pictures of before paint work was done if avail just to see why it was painted and how the repair was made if so. At the price this one is I wouldn't imagine it would have metal work needed but I know nothing on this truck. With cruisers later 79-83 always fetch a higher price since the drive-train has benefits and less models made it state side. 79 had more units that the 80s.

With any purchase involving this kind of $$ and a vehicle of this age, it's best to move slowly, and (as they say) if you don't know your diamonds, know your jeweler.

There are many maximum-scammers out there. Check the 'Bad Sellers Buyers Beware' subsection of Mud Classifieds, and you'll read hair-raising horror stories.

I would think it has turned at least once unless miles are documented that low and I missed it, I thought 79 would have the extra digit in the odometer to go higher but it could have started in 80s Ive not been around many later ones. With cruisers later 79-83 always fetch a higher price since the drive-train has benefits and less models made it state side. 79 had more units that the 80s.

1979 and 1980 still had a 5 digit odometer. the 55 mph would have been highlighted in a square. also the transfercase was still the 1 piece design.
6 digit odometer and splitcase started with the 1981 model year.

1979 and 1980 still had a 5 digit odometer. the 55 mph would have been highlighted in a square. also the transfercase was still the 1 piece design.
6 digit odometer and splitcase started with the 1981 model year.

Well , this one has no 55 mph in a square. So, what does that mean ?

Heard back from seller that “mileage cannot be substantiated”. He thinks it’s 121,000 (but could be 221,000 or 321,000). Last significant restoration in ‘06.

Well , this one has no 55 mph in a square. So, what does that mean ?
55mph is only on the 1980. The 1979 does not have the square 55mph. Both speedo's only go up to 80mph. The design changed again in 8/80 to 1983 for the final time.

Chris Wade @Wadesters who is a member here may have what you need. He does nice work and is a straight up guy. Nothing is cheap about these any more.

4E8B3CB5-7DB8-4D4A-9995-7C412ABB9F97.jpeg
Thank you for the connection.
What an amazing truck in my favorite color..

55mph is only on the 1980. The 1979 does not have the square 55mph.

Thanks for correcting me, It's been awhile since I've been in a 79. I know my 80 has the 55 in a box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom