For Sale 1979 FJ40 Project (2F, New Steel Tub,extra hardtop sides,etc.) Virginia (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Greetings, fellow MUDders,

This is an difficult post for me, but I am going to have to sell my FJ40 project, which has been years in the making. I am now without a job before I head back to graduate school, and feeding a growing FZJ80 is a tough thing to do, in addition to a frame-off restoration and no consistent income.

The story begins in 2013, when I purchased a rusty, mustard yellow FJ40 from a small auto shop in Hyannis, MA (Cape Cod)--they were selling for an elderly gentleman (90, or so). I was in Rhode Island for the Navy at the time, so I rode out with a friend to the cold yet beautiful Cape Cod to check out a 40 with potential, which was posted on CL in Boston. After many visits and test rides (driveline ran like a sewing machine, probably still does), I purchased for $3300, and my wife and I drove it back to Virginia, with no casualties, except some differential fluid leaking from the hubs (see forum New to '40's, New to forum...what to do first?)

I am going to be moving to Atlanta in a few months, and will also be doing a month long trip/overland trip in my '95 FZJ80, prior to that. For these reasons, I am looking to sell my project and relatively quickly. Ideally, a person will pick up all of the project parts, living locally or otherwise, and I will be able to clean out my storage unit/workshop (I live in an apartment at the beach with no garage).

To be entirely clear, this is a rolling chassis, with a rusty tub attached, with a newly restored LandCruiserHeaven tub, from @FloridaFJ80 (Frank) (Land Cruiser Heaven FJ40 Replacement Full Tub), which has been sitting in the unit since I received it. 2 sets of ambulance doors, 2 sets of hardtop sides/windows (one with bottom rusted out, the other needs minor fab work), 1 fiberglass hardtop, 2 sets of both front doors (same as other sets), 2F motor and 4spd transmission, all of the normal trim and bodywork are relatively organized in ziploc bags and/or by size in the storage unit.

Parts/issues:

1) The frame is rusty and in rough shape behind the firewall, back to the rear bumper. Shock mounts, etc, all need sandblasting and recoating. Some of the frame definitely needs patching, which was something I never got around to doing.

2) Power steering pump has a small leak from the pulley/shaft seal area, thermostat holder/cover needs to be replaced, and the crankshaft pulley needs to be replaced as well (I am including one). I was having some weird vibrations at higher RPMs before I started to pull it apart in late 2016. Engine ran really smoothly, and the only non-stock mod is a Weber carb, which worked fine.

3) Windshield frame is rusty, and is bubbling--glass and wiper arms, linkages, and motor are great, but the frame has two or three spots of bubbling rust.

4) I was in the process of legally transferring the title of the tub from the original 40 to the new tub, so I removed the VIN plates. They are unscathed, and in a bag with the car. I also have the title, and it is clean.

You WILL need new hardware, gaskets, thermostat, fluids, hoses, filters, etc, after you do the fab work.

You will also need a new exhaust system, but the headers are OK--I had to cut after the header flange to downpipe.

Obviously, there are tons of other parts which will be included, mats, shifter ball, etc., but they aren't listed because that would be too tedious, and it is intuitive. If you are wondering whether something is included or not, ask me.

Everything that the truck was sold with in 1979, but some extras, and except some things mentioned above. This has been a difficult project for a newbie to balance, and since buying, I have learned a ton about mechanics, repair and some restoration stuff. I am happy at the moment with my 80, and the fact that I have enough room and comfort for the wife and I to head out West for months at a time.

I am asking $6750 for everything, because of all of the body parts I am including, but I am open to offers. I will continue to try and post more detailed photos as the week progresses. I am located in Virginia Beach, VA, 23455--I am not looking to ship anything, local pickup is ideal; I need to sell within the month, ideally so don't hesitate to PM.

Please PM me if you have questions, thank you for looking.
20171215_174645.jpg
20171215_174633.jpg
20171215_174605.jpg
CAM01283.jpg
20171215_174524.jpg

Other notes:

1) Transmission and engine are solid.
2) new tub is obviously very solid.
3) The odometer stopped working at 90K
4) No lift included
5) This truck would need Frame-off restoration due to rust, anyhow, so being a rolling chassis with extra parts is kind of a bonus. :rofl:

Notes:

1) If you want photos of or to know the condition of a specific part or component, please ask, and I will post them.

2) The price is an estimate of what I'm looking for, because of the costs of the truck,the other body parts which are expensive, like the tub shipped from Frank.

Thanks again for looking!

Hi,
I'm interested in your FJ. Could you give me a call please? The FJ wants to come back to the north to complete the restoration you started.
401 952-6791
Rhode Island

Looking to get back in line to buy your project. Tried to PM and left you a post earlier to let you know you inbox is full.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom