craigslist 1979 FJ40 in California - not honest and misrepresented (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This blue FJ40 has been posted on craigslist in a bunch of different cities. It's not an honest representation nor was this seller ever a customer of Torfab. Buyer beware

1979 Toyota FJ40 Beautifully Restored (FJ-40 / FJ 40)

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/1979-toyota-fj40-beautifully/6598343920.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/d/1979-toyota-fj40-beautifully/6598343419.html

1979 Toyota FJ-40 - Beautifully restored & very well done with over $7,800 in recent maintenance. Blue with charcoal interior. Originally a Texas car, then went to Washington State, & now in Monterey, CA. It is the best driving 40 I've ever driven. It's the original 4.2-liter F2 OHV inline-6 motor, which runs strong. The 4-speed shifts nice and crisp. Last year I sent it to some guys that everyone in the Cruiser culture knows: Torfab in Everett, WA. I will send the invoices, but here's the high points:

-Old Man Emu suspension system
-2F Ignition parts upgrade. Removed the old point style using FJ60 distributor, side cover, ignitor, and coil with OEM Toyota spark plug wire set and new spark plugs
-Oil pan, timing cover and transmission-to-transfer-case gasket
-Front crankshaft, rear transfer case output and transmission-to-transfer case
-Knuckle Rebuild (Tore axle down to bare housing, cleaned knuckles, spindle, backing plate, hub housing, hub, brake rotors, installed new knuckle bearings, knuckle wiper seals, inner axle seals, hub seals, wheel seals, all gaskets, greased all bearings, cleaned and grease birfields, pack knuckles with grease, re-install knuckles)
-Inspected brake calipers, inspected and replace where necessary brake rotors and pads.

The exhaust has some surface rust from manifold to muffler, but it's cosmetic only. It's tight with no leaks. I'm not a fan of the rear fender flares, but it is uncut, so they would be easy to delete if the buyer thinks like me.

It has power steering that feels very tight with no center play; it tracks very straight. The frame-off restoration I think is around 7 years old. It was done right and it's well preserved. Very good paint, great interior. The chassis is near showroom. A rear bench seat is included (as you'll see in pictures) and it comes with the OEM jumper seats which are in excellent condition too. The original Toyota floor mats, heater, fire extinguisher, tool kit, and owner's manual are there.

It's a great FJ. I give it a 1 mechanically and a 2 cosmetically, which makes it a very cool driver. You don't have to stress about nicking a 95-plus point show car but it still drives like one.

We have inspected this truck, done some of the work listed, but it keeps changing hands because it's a poor restoration done at another shop. It was sold from mecum auction and every time it changes hands some poor guy pays more than the last.

thanks for heads up

We have inspected this truck, done some of the work listed, but it keeps changing hands because it's a poor restoration done at another shop. It was sold from mecum auction and every time it changes hands some poor guy pays more than the last.
What makes it a poor restoration? What’s a rig like this actually worth?

Wait, you posted that they were never a customer of torfab yet you have inspected and done some
Work?

Yes, this guy is trying to flip the car. The guy I did work for was maybe 3 owners ago, we told that guy to just get rid of it because of the crappy work. We just kept it together for him so he could enjoy it for a little while

Never laid eyes on it, but it what makes it a poor resto? Body looks straight to me. I would NEVER pay $49000 for ANY Land Cruiser, but that price tag is thrown around pretty regularly especially in the '79-'83 era nowadays. Basically, I've seen a lot selling for WAY more that look worse on the web. It's the nature of the beast with these and just about every collector car listed online. The internet has created this fantasy land where people constantly misrepresent things (and people). I think most on this site are well aware of it, but thanks for the tip.

Never laid eyes on it, but it what makes it a poor resto? Body looks straight to me. I would NEVER pay $49000 for ANY Land Cruiser, but that price tag is thrown around pretty regularly especially in the '79-'83 era nowadays. Basically, I've seen a lot selling for WAY more that look worse on the web. It's the nature of the beast with these and just about every collector car listed online. The internet has created this fantasy land where people constantly misrepresent things (and people). I think most on this site are well aware of it, but thanks for the tip.
I agree. It seems like $49K is the go to price to start with most of these. I wouldn’t pay that much either but I would take a look at it, because my untrained eye needs to see her firsthand.
I too would still like to know what makes it a bad resto?

It is lipstick on a pig, just paint and things that are visible. The engine, frame, axles, brakes, everything else essentially was untouched. I don't call that a resto, I call it a paint job. Not to mention missing sheetmetal sections on the underside.

The body is misleading,too. Though it has the bezel of a 79+, the rear ambulance doors and corners are of the 78 and older style. Seems to be a mismash of parts. Looks decent from the photos but if you're asking 49k, it better be close to perfect.

The body is misleading,too. Though it has the bezel of a 79+, the rear ambulance doors and corners are of the 78 and older style. Seems to be a mismash of parts. Looks decent from the photos but if you're asking 49k, it better be close to perfect.
Serious question. How can just the corners be from a different year?

Serious question. How can just the corners be from a different year?

The corners of the doors are round for 79+ these doors are probably not the right year and the repair is square instead of round.

The brown pic is the right shape .

Screenshot_2018-06-07-00-05-33.jpg

0420181532_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom