1979 FJ40 4 Speed Trans Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello fellow gear heads,
Just recently did a rebuild on my Transfer case, when we re-installed everything I am finding it harder to change transmission gears (1st-4th) while driving. We didn't touch the transmission other than to disconnect and drain the old fluid, but other than that we didn't change anything from how it was. I verified all fluid levels are full, the gear changing seems to smooth out a little as I drive but it's still not like it was. I also just changed the clutch master cylinder and bled that as well. So i'm just wondering if there are any suggestions out there as to what I should check or if there is something I am missing, I am a little baffled as we didn't really touch the transmission other that like I stated above. It's not really "grinding" per say, but it does make a metallic like sound and it's a little tough to get into gear under load, more so between 2nd and 3rd. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

This will sound like a really odd question, but, how did you remove the t-case?

Did you use only a puller, applying pressure to the END of the transmission and pulling off the back of the t-case?

Or, did you at any time strike the end of the main shaft to try and drive the transmission off of the t-case, or use pry bars to try to separate them?

The answers can help narrow the possibilities. Yes to the second question could mean damage to the transmission.

Also, did you confirm the t-case preload before putting it back on the transmission?

This will sound like a really odd question, but, how did you remove the t-case?

Did you use only a puller, applying pressure to the END of the transmission and pulling off the back of the t-case?

Or, did you at any time strike the end of the main shaft to try and drive the transmission off of the t-case, or use pry bars to try to separate them?

The answers can help narrow the possibilities. Yes to the second question could mean damage to the transmission.

Doesn't sound odd at all, I had a friend helping me so I am just awaiting a response as to how he separated the two. Can you expand on the "yes to the second question" part of your answer. In other words which "second question" specifically are you talking about that can cause damage and what kind of damage can it cause to the transmission? Thank you for your help on this

Yeah, it would actually be the third question. I know guys that thought they could 'drive' the transmission off the t-case. Beating on the end of the main shaft can do damage to the transmission bearings, synchro's, etc. When you do this you are actually driving the main shaft into the needle bearings in the back of input shaft and trying to drive the input shaft forward. No Bueno.

Also, how did you set/check the t-case preload?

Yeah, it would actually be the third question. I know guys that thought they could 'drive' the transmission off the t-case. Beating on the end of the main shaft can do damage to the transmission bearings, synchro's, etc. When you do this you are actually driving the main shaft into the needle bearings in the back of input shaft and trying to drive the input shaft forward. No Bueno.

Also, how did you set/check the t-case preload?

I don't believe he removed it by driving the shaft, curious what is the best way to set the t-case preload? What is the process and torque specs? seems that may be more likely the issue but I will verify after your response. ty

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom