1979+ dizzy - timing control Sniper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ive a 79 40 with a bad dual diaphragm advancer. (see pic of advancer below courtesy cruiserparts.net)
(would you perhaps have one? Ive looked all over.)
just installed a Holley Sniper and figured perhaps setting up timing control
using a 81-87 dizzy. then i wondered what the difference was between
my 79 dizzy and the 81 other than the size of the cap. would i be able to
lock out the mechanical advance on my dizzy to use Snipers TC?
thanks in advance for any help.

distributorfj60jpg.image.200x298.jpg

Contact @4Cruisers
I just bought a rebuilt distributor from him with a new advance diaphram on it. You'll want to cap off your retard vacuum line as the new diaphram will only have the advance on it. It's not needed for performance only emissions.View attachment 2279855
thanks for the info. I'll reach out. maybe they can shed some light on my present dizzy. would love to have the timing control setup. let me know how yours works.

I have a Sniper on a 2F with a DUI electronic. I found a Youtube with a guy who locked out the dizzy on a 6-cylinder inline Camaro. Same procedure basically, the DUI unit is a HEI large cap copy for the 2F. Got the replacement screw adjustment for the vacuum advance from Speedway and a lockout bar for the weight pivots. Once I'm back up and running I'm gonna give it a try.

great. keep us posted. im still working on my breather and throttle cable. but depending on your outcome may consider doing the timing control.

I did the sniper timing control on my 60. Holley Sniper with a locked out DUI and it drives pretty well. Im still chasing a bog down when I lay into full throttle but it definitely drives well. Just follow the Camero video and you should be set.

I did the sniper timing control on my 60. Holley Sniper with a locked out DUI and it drives pretty well. Im still chasing a bog down when I lay into full throttle but it definitely drives well. Just follow the Camero video and you should be set.

Really glad to hear it worked well. I'm about to do the same based on the video for the camaro. Have the lock out and adjuster to replace the vacuum on the DUI to facilitate phasing. Would love to see a pics of your set up and ignition screens if you have any.

What was your initial timing? Was it tough to set up in the ECU? Did you use the laptop software, I find it very flexible? Lots of questions, I know, but it's great to know someone's done it. I'd really like to have the ECU control the timing. Thanks for the info - Bob

I will be following closely, I just installed my sniper and am waiting for the DUI Dizzy to arrive. Keep us all posted.

just for the record. according to Justin at Redline Landcruisers. toyota dizzys are incapable of timing control.
I was hoping one could lock one out. but they lack a hall effect sensor. or they would need a hall effect sensor
at least thats what i took from the conversation. I may have bungled it up. but in an event you cant use a toyota dizzy
for timing control.

That's what I understood. Hence the DUI in mine. Also, the large cap design is ubiquitous and so all kinds of develoments and options are always available; like using it with a Sniper.

That's what I understood. Hence the DUI in mine. Also, the large cap design is ubiquitous and so all kinds of develoments and options are always available; like using it with a Sniper.
What about a 3fe dizzy with the sniper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom