1979 Cowl Installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I Have done a quick search and cannot find my answer. Will a 1979 FJ40 Cowl (firewall) install to a 1961 FJ40 without a lot of modifications? My 61 FJ never had a heater and I have access to a 79 at a reasonable price complete with heater and windshield frame. I should be able to modify floor pans if necessary. Just not sure about width and connections being the same. I would appreciate any help.

Wouldn't be a easy fit but can be done. 78 and older would be easier. If you have a soft top model is will be even harder. Rocker below the doors is taller than a hard top or soft top post 63. Seems like a lot of work to just insall a heater. Find mid 62 or 63 windshield frame with defrost vents, drill a couple of holes in the cowl for defrost holes. 64 or part of 65 will also work with very few mods. Install a heater with the blower included on the firewall.

1979 Cowl instal

Thanks, I didn't know if dimensioned correctly to mate up to the 61 without serious mods. I am not concerned with a hardtop but will probably go with some soft top install. Problem is I also need a windshield frame. I figured for the cost of the cowl and I have available a 79 windshield frame, that would also eliminate that issue. The 61 I bought was used as a hunting wagon and was stripped of the heater, windshield frame, doors, top, etc. I am in the process of tearing down to the frame and rebuilding with a V8 and 4 speed. Will the 79 windshield frame work on the 61 cowl??? I am not concerned with the defrost working if I stay with the 61 firewall (cowl). Will the windshield frame properly fit upright and lay down correctly or is there other issues with the 79 windshield frame???

I just cut a 79 cowl off a 65-45 tub I will tell you it was a mess,the floor is a bunch different. The po made it fit but with a bunch of compromises, you can do it with work but you may not be happy with the final results.

Last edited:
In my opinion I wouldn't do that. There's a major differences in the cowl. one being that you would need steps from a 79 above because of the way the rain gutter runs on the side. You would also need to make major modifications to the floor as the 79 up have one consistent transmission tunnel built into the actual cub versus a transmission tunnel cover. The whole opening for the steering columnl is also different so you should probably grab one off a late model truck. I may have a spare if you need one of those but it would probably be a lot cheaper for you to Source one locally. the opening is much larger than the later trucks. The provisions for the emergency brake are also much different because the setting I have have the emergency brake on the four versus the firewall calling from under the data you have to modify that as well as where the brake cable comes through the floor underneath the pedal. Lastly, I'm unsure about your question regarding the windscreens from various years I think you would want to use the 79 windscreen with the 79 tub mainly because of the way each of these latch. if I am correct, the 61 uses a different latch but Im not that for sure on the dimensions of anything else.

I reckon it would be easier to fit the Hindenburgh into a VW. Why not get a pre-79 cowl? Surely that would be fairly easy to find. I had a 76 which I gave away to a mate who put an Aqualu tub behind it. I've seen them advertised in the Trails in the past too.

Josh

Thanks for the help, I will just stay with the 61 cowl that is installed now. The cowl I have is in really good shape I just had access to a 79 one that was complete with the heater and it was only going to cost me $300.00. Trying to find a heater for a 61 FJ40 is impossible, the firewall (cowl) and side skirt where the kick vent is have no cutouts for the blower so I cannot interchange the 1971 and up heaters which are readily available. I guess the original heater in the 61 was completely in the cab blower and Heater core.
My other question regarded the windshield frame, I was curious if the 1979 frame would mount and be able to hinge. I have tried a buddies 71 or 72 windshield frame and it went on with no problems I just didnt know if the 79 would work cosmetically if I never planned on installing a hard top???

Snoozer, thanks for the tip I had no idea that such heaters existed. Wow great idea!!! That is the way I plan on going now. Thanks again bro!!!
Now I just need to find out if the 79 windshield frame that I have available will work on the 61 cowl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom