1979 Calipers: Rebuild or Aftermarket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pulled these crusty calipers off my 79’ donor vehicle. Wire wheeled one out of curiosity and seems like they could cleanup just fine. My question is, are these cylinders and pistons beyond saving? Am I better off just buying aftermarket calipers and investing the time/money I would have spent to bring these back to life on other parts? Thanks for your opinions and expertise!
21FD392F-EC8B-4512-9EAB-FDFE781227B0.jpeg

575C2B8D-0DEE-4490-8725-D7C6F7B2725C.jpeg

BABFA575-55B7-447A-9D3B-BE3FF0998F32.jpeg

Anybody bought the oem remans lately? I got mine for like 60 bucks each a couple of years ago.

They are discontinued in the US market.

Available out of Japan via the Heritage Parts Program.

Or better yet, new OEM part manufacturer ADVICS loaded calipers from Cruiser Outfitters is really the best way to go.

Last edited:
If I were in your shoes I'd install a set of larger IFS 4runner calipers (bought from CruiserOutfitters). Easy upgrade as long as your wheels have room
What is required for these? Last upgrade I heard about like this required new hubs and wheel spacers among other things. :(

I was already running 79+ FJ40 hubs on my '74 and did not have to make any other changes. I am not sure if they will work on your '78 knuckles/hubs, sorry!

If I were in your shoes I'd install a set of larger IFS 4runner calipers (bought from CruiserOutfitters). Easy upgrade as long as your wheels have room
I believe you answered this in a later thread, but does this require any modifications to the axle or caliper, or is it a straight “bolt-on” application? What model year range of 4Runner calipers work best for this? Also, with respect to the wheels having room, I’d like to go with a 16” rim to open up the tire selection. I’ve read that 3.5” is the required backspacing for 15” rims, but can I get away with 4” BS on a 16” rim and fit the larger 4Runner caliper?

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom