1979 BJ40 Starter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi fairly new to this site, but have tried to go through all the previous threads for this answer and can't find. I've got a 1979 BJ40 with the "B" engine, LHD, 12V. I'm looking for a starter for it. I've scoured the standard sites (Ebay, SOR, FJparts, Cool Cruisers, CruiserParts, CruiserCorps, etc.) and can find one that has the correct specs (12v/2.5kW/11T) but in every case they have the main positive lug (that you connect the + lead to) on the opposite side of the starter that I think I need it on. I've actually ordered two now and both are the same. Here is the photo of what it seems everyone sells. I know I'll get advice to just rebuild what have, which I will do, but I'd like to have a spare in-hand as well. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
thanks!

77CCD677-C73F-4D12-9D45-12B2909F4630_1_201_a.jpeg

Ok so I found the thread that talks about using a starter designed for a 2lt engine and swapping the nose cone. A couple of part numbers I found were 28100-54090 and 28100-54052. These look from the photo like they have the lugs in the right position, so I'll give that a try. Most websites say I need a 28100-56090 (w/o EDIC), but I'm unable to find this part anywhere.

I could not get an exact match for my 1979 B starter either. In the end I had to get the only one that was available and make it fit. This involved removing the top mounting stud and replacing it with an 8mm bolt. The holes do not line up and 8mm is the biggest I could fit in there. Do the big bolt up tight and all good. Seems to be holding up so far.
I have kept my original starter as I want to rebuild it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom