1979 BJ40 fluids? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello MUD. First of many questions i’m Sure. New to 40’s and excited to start tinkering.

I’m sure this has been asked but my googlefoo is failing me.

Just picked up a 1979 BJ40 and have no clue what fluids were/should be used in it (Coolant, oil, etc, etc). I’ve read the responsible thing to do is drain all fluids and start fresh since I have no clue when it was last done. A little shove in the right direction would be great.

Thanks! Oh and everybody loves pictures.

CFBC585E-6D2F-4580-8D1E-B9DDDB7A3F94.jpeg

-Coolant = green glycol
-Oil = 15w40 any reputable brand
-Transmission / transfer case = Redline mtl or gl4 / gl5 specific gear oil or STOU 10w40 which equals 75w90 gear oil

Last edited:
Redline mtl for transmission and case or get a gl4 specific gear oil compatable with old trannies. New gear oils chemically corrode brass synchros.

Thanks. Just found that in another thread. Still looking for engine oil, coolant, any other fluid you guys can think of.

It
Redline mtl for transmission and case or get a gl4 specific gear oil compatable with old trannies. New gear oils chemically corrode brass synchros.

It used to be the case with gl5 oils corroding bronze metals. But they're all buffered now so they don't.

If you want one oil that does everything. Tractor companies have created a STOU oil spec (super tractor oil universal) which can be used for engines, gear boxes, final drives and even hydraulics. A STOU 10w40 is comparable to a 75w90 gear oil but can be safely used in engines.

It

It used to be the case with gl5 oils corroding bronze metals. But they're all buffered now so they don't.

If you want one oil that does everything. Tractor companies have created a STOU oil spec (super tractor oil universal) which can be used for engines, gear boxes, final drives and even hydraulics. A STOU 10w40 is comparable to a 75w90 gear oil but can be safely used in engines.

Wow. So 10w40 STOU for everything? Crazy. Bet it’s pricey.

What kind of standard engine oil is normally used?

Just read a few threads that say 15W40 of a reputable brand is plenty good.

Last edited:
These days gl4 spec is lower viscosity for gearbox and gl5 is for differentials. Usually additional ratings with additional additives exist for hypoid diffs and LSD. Aren't most Toyota diffs hypoid?

I'm using a 75w85 gl4 gearbox oil and 75w90 axle oil in my Isuzu powered Rover. The transfer I reckon could use either safely.

The STOU aren't expensive. If they were then Farmers wouldn't use them!

I’ll check that out. 👍

Still trying to figure out the coolant? Pretty sure it is green. Lol.

Yeah green glycol is green glycol. GM and others have their own specs but they're interchangable.

It's the reds, blues and purple coolants which usually aren't mixable.

Yeah green glycol is green glycol. GM and others have their own specs but they're interchangable.

It's the reds, blues and purple coolants which usually aren't mixable.

Right on!

Just stumbled open this post that explains the coolants pretty well. Assuming Green IAT is the same as green glycol. Thanks 🍻

Just flush it and keep it fresh with your engine oil , the B loves fresh oil and I would not let it go over 3000 miles / 5000 km .

I have always done my B's at around 3000 km just to be safe as oil is cheap rebuilding B's aint and the cleaner you keep it the happier it will B :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom