Builds 1978 US Market FJ40 Factory Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks great Dallas, I was at an estate sale a month ago buying some motorcycles, and spotted 4 15x6 fuchs( deep 6)!!! I offered $100 and they were mine!!! Wish I had a long nose to put them on!!

Can I also say (without vendors hiking prices please) it is a breath of fresh air working on the cruiser as opposed to the Porsche. A set of OEM Bosch turn signals for a 64-68 Porsche? Yeah. Or how about a complete 1968 tool kit? Its great to re-focus attention back on the cruiser.

Having a 911 to pair with the 40 is the next car milestone for me. (Although a 912 is more likely)
Best of both worlds, especially like the old lighter air cooled models👍

Couldn't agree more! The 911 I purchased was quite affordable because it isn't "pedigree" like most are. This means matching numbers, correct paint color, all original bits and pieces and so on. The fact that this 911 is "series matching" as they say (period correct/model correct engine) was close enough for me. While Silver, the original color was Tangerine. At the end of the day...when I am driving the car...the color and engine number don't matter that much at all. Especially if that means a 40% cut in price for the car. Good luck @EmanC in finding a 911/2 in your future.

Anyone know of an oem (out the right side) exhaust setup? I'd like it to be as close to oem as visibly possible. I know SOR sells a setup, but not at all close to what I am looking for. Plan B is to have a local exhaust shop make something - however would sure be nice to find a stainless oem-looking setup I can use.
Any leads? Thanks!!

I've been thinking about this too. I'm not as worried about exact OEM specs/appearance, but was considering just buying one of those ebay kits, something like exhaust kit, where you just make your own. I don't know if I trust my skills and would probably go to an exhaust shop, but maybe. Don't know if something like that works.

That is a good idea - even stainless. I have a mig welder setup for mild steel/alum - but I dont have a tig to do stainless.

I think the best option at this point is to find an oem "can" like muffler and take some pictures to a truck shop that is specialized/known for good exhaust work and have them build it to the factory specs. I can also order the oem hangars and mounts for them to use.

That might just be the only winning combo here. I'm guessing the days of a 250$ Midas job are long gone and this will be a solid 1k in parts/labor. Ugh. Why did I do this, again?

Couldn't agree more! The 911 I purchased was quite affordable because it isn't "pedigree" like most are. This means matching numbers, correct paint color, all original bits and pieces and so on. The fact that this 911 is "series matching" as they say (period correct/model correct engine) was close enough for me. While Silver, the original color was Tangerine. At the end of the day...when I am driving the car...the color and engine number don't matter that much at all. Especially if that means a 40% cut in price for the car. Good luck @EmanC in finding a 911/2 in your future.
I know exactly what you mean regarding Porsche parts prices vs Land Cruiser parts. However, even Cruiser parts have started to get expensive, not stupid Porsche expensive, but if it’s a rare original part it’s not cheap. I have three old Porsche’s and I felt a breath of fresh air so to speak when I started working on my Cruisers. You do amazing work and your level of detail is inspiring. It makes me feel ok when I get to anal with certain things knowing I am not the only nut out there. Keep it up and keep on posting. Thanks, Mark

That is a good idea - even stainless. I have a mig welder setup for mild steel/alum - but I dont have a tig to do stainless.

I think the best option at this point is to find an oem "can" like muffler and take some pictures to a truck shop that is specialized/known for good exhaust work and have them build it to the factory specs. I can also order the oem hangars and mounts for them to use.

That might just be the only winning combo here. I'm guessing the days of a 250$ Midas job are long gone and this will be a solid 1k in parts/labor. Ugh. Why did I do this, again?
I too am needing an exhaust for my 72 FST. Needs to be as close to original as possible. I will be watching to see what you and others suggest.

How about a factory muffler and tail pipe from a later model 79-83? P/N 17430-61120, $200 from Toyota. I have one in my '77 and 1980, amazing quality.

How about a factory muffler and tail pipe from a later model 79-83? P/N 17430-61120, $200 from Toyota. I have one in my '77 and 1980, amazing quality.

When I looked at this part no. 17430-61120, it only showed the pipe. Is the muffler included? Thx

I'm with merbesfield on this one - I looked up 17430-61120 and found the tail pipe section. Is that a right-hand exit same as 78? If so, that would work. Now, just need to find the part # for the muffler, which would complete the setup. Then, I'd just need an exhaust shop to tie the center section together. We may be onto something. Great recommendations Oregon80fj40, thank you.

However, note this photo shows an included muffler: Toyota Land Cruiser Pipe assembly, exhaust, tail. Engine - 1743061120 | Battlefield Toyota, Culpeper VA - https://parts.battlefieldtoyota.com/p/Toyota__Land-Cruiser/PIPE-ASSEMBLY---EXHAUST---TAIL/63124988/1743061120.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla_with_promotion&partnerDevice=c&userLocation=9004323&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8IaGBhCHARIsAGIRRYoZ6WW1yDwFsybFze37SgFxRRfUyMF9NvDeHp7AP8bcMgh6MttGPW8aAiw-EALw_wcB

Last edited:
FWIW I had a local muffler shop fab up everything based on pics I had of the original set-up. Bought a new exhaust flange off ebay and quite pleased how it turned out on my 1/78 build. Total was $400. I had all the original brackets and nuts and bolts.

F8E123A7-D069-4B1B-BD51-4F6BE76AA0CB_1_105_c.jpeg

56F4F207-AE88-48DC-BCFA-672C283BD4CE_1_105_c.jpeg

Great! This cruiser is also a 1/78, these pictures are great. Did they jot down a part number on the muffler/details on the parts used? If not, no biggie. Looks like it goes above trans/tcase shield, too?
I don't have the part numbers, sorry. Do you need the flange part number? I can track that down for sure. A guys laser cuts them and sells them on ebay. Yes, it goes above the skid plate. I can take more pics if you need them of the new system and the old. Just let me know.

I'm with merbesfield on this one - I looked up 17430-61120 and found the tail pipe section. Is that a right-hand exit same as 78? If so, that would work. Now, just need to find the part # for the muffler, which would complete the setup. Then, I'd just need an exhaust shop to tie the center section together. We may be onto something. Great recommendations Oregon80fj40, thank you.

However, note this photo shows an included muffler: Toyota Land Cruiser Pipe assembly, exhaust, tail. Engine - 1743061120 | Battlefield Toyota, Culpeper VA - https://parts.battlefieldtoyota.com/p/Toyota__Land-Cruiser/PIPE-ASSEMBLY---EXHAUST---TAIL/63124988/1743061120.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla_with_promotion&partnerDevice=c&userLocation=9004323&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8IaGBhCHARIsAGIRRYoZ6WW1yDwFsybFze37SgFxRRfUyMF9NvDeHp7AP8bcMgh6MttGPW8aAiw-EALw_wcB

Muffler is included. I'm not near my truck now otherwise I'd send you a photo, but I found a thread below that has great photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom