Builds 1978 US Market FJ40 Factory Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sweet. At this rate it’ll take me another 20 to finish this thing.

IMG_4520.jpeg

@topnault I've left a couple of messages through your chat service. I'm assuming you've been busy wrapping up SEMA, etc.. so I'll be patient.

Regarding exhaust, I'm thinking about giving this a try (has anyone else?) https://shop.cruiserparts.net/index...t_info&cPath=2_4851_3270_3290&products_id=441

I have had mixed experiences when ordering from Cruiser Parts and their reputation on the sellers forum isn't very convincing. However, I was thinking of fabbing up a mid-pipe on my own (I have flanges) and then connecting to this muffler.

Another option is something along these lines: Walker® 22636 - Heavy Duty Steel Round Aluminized Exhaust Muffler (3" Offset ID, 3" Offset OD, 21" Length) - https://www.carid.com/walker/heavy-duty-steel-round-aluminized-exhaust-muffler-mpn-22636.html

@topnault I've left a couple of messages through your chat service. I'm assuming you've been busy wrapping up SEMA, etc.. so I'll be patient.

Regarding exhaust, I'm thinking about giving this a try (has anyone else?) https://shop.cruiserparts.net/index...t_info&cPath=2_4851_3270_3290&products_id=441

I have had mixed experiences when ordering from Cruiser Parts and their reputation on the sellers forum isn't very convincing. However, I was thinking of fabbing up a mid-pipe on my own (I have flanges) and then connecting to this muffler.

Another option is something along these lines: Walker® 22636 - Heavy Duty Steel Round Aluminized Exhaust Muffler (3" Offset ID, 3" Offset OD, 21" Length) - https://www.carid.com/walker/heavy-duty-steel-round-aluminized-exhaust-muffler-mpn-22636.html
I have the carid (2nd one) in my notes folder.
For about 1/2$, better reputation and a more comforting photo on the site, I’d say it’s the choice.

Spent the day wrestling with the EGR restoration, fitting, etc..

Luckily, @ToyotaMatt provides an early and late EGR kit, so the hardware is fresh and made the job much easier.

I had two EGR setups, one was pretty chewed up and used, but was able to take both of them completely apart and restore a nice setup for the project.

I used high temp silver on the aluminum and high temp black on the cast iron back piece.

Fitting the EGR cooler:

View attachment 2421074

After wrestling with it more, I had to remove and run an M10x1.25 (i think it was) tap into the block where the cooler mounted. That did the trick, as the engine paint, etc.. was quit built up.

View attachment 2421076

I was lucky enough to have the rear exhaust shield. The front is in the mail. I should have it installed this week. It is important because it has the snorkel for the heat riser.

Here, I finished the support bracket and u-bolt for the accordion pipe:

View attachment 2421077

Downpipe installed:

View attachment 2421079

The downpipe has a support bracket that secures to the motor mount (rear left) - I didn't know this, until digging through some parts and realized THAT was what the bracket was for!

View attachment 2421081
Hi @dmaddox what did you use to finish the exhaust manifold and how has it held up? There are so many mixed reviews online for everything I've come across.

Hello @greenEFSI - I used Eastwood Hi-Temp coating (non aerosol), and it has held up very well. I have had the engine to temp several times now and the heat helps the paint cure (as part of the application process/instructions). I am always skeptical of rattle cans, but this eastwood product seems to be doing quite nicely. Its also great it comes in a quart can, so if needed I can always touch an area up.

I've been waiting for warmer weather to finish the cruiser, but I am very close. I need to finish the hood/hardtop and the exhaust and I'm done. I am 100% open to anyone coming by to check things out, happy to chat @Goldbug

Spent the day wrestling with the EGR restoration, fitting, etc..

Luckily, @ToyotaMatt provides an early and late EGR kit, so the hardware is fresh and made the job much easier.

I had two EGR setups, one was pretty chewed up and used, but was able to take both of them completely apart and restore a nice setup for the project.

I used high temp silver on the aluminum and high temp black on the cast iron back piece.

Fitting the EGR cooler:

View attachment 2421074

After wrestling with it more, I had to remove and run an M10x1.25 (i think it was) tap into the block where the cooler mounted. That did the trick, as the engine paint, etc.. was quit built up.

View attachment 2421076

I was lucky enough to have the rear exhaust shield. The front is in the mail. I should have it installed this week. It is important because it has the snorkel for the heat riser.

Here, I finished the support bracket and u-bolt for the accordion pipe:

View attachment 2421077

Downpipe installed:

View attachment 2421079

The downpipe has a support bracket that secures to the motor mount (rear left) - I didn't know this, until digging through some parts and realized THAT was what the bracket was for!

View attachment 2421081
Hey @dmaddox ! I was happy to see your thread pop up in my notifications!
Question for you - do you have some posts detailing the vacuum lines for your carb? Sorry for being lazy and not crawling all 60+ pages!
I am hunting a question here: Vacuum Line at Carb Question - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/vacuum-line-at-carb-question.1331361/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom