Builds 1978 US Market FJ40 Factory Restoration (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmaddox

SILVER Star
Threads
Was never a fan of mustard....always went for the green/olive's, but I saw a BJ42 in mustard after all these years decided I liked it. We all change our minds on things, right? So, I took some time to pool some cash together (budget was 15k) looking for as original and as close to a 12/77 Mustard cruiser I could find, I found one right here on mud that fit the bill.

The purchase experience was horrible, and I later found out that it was a giant mass of cover-ups and dishonesty (maybe not all on the seller, but?) so I vented about it and kicked off the project.

My goal has always been to do a correct and totally stock restoration, purist style all the way down to the paperwork in the glove box.

After getting a one-way ticket to drive it home, I found some major issues on the trek. It quickly began vapor locking and then when I got into the rain, the wipers didn't work....among other things. Water was coming in all over the place...I was not happy.

Basic drivability, I need to fix the upside down/backwards e-brake and disconnected cable. Someone in the recent months went through the trouble of installing a brand new e-brake cable.

You can see in the for-sale photos the handle is pointed in the wrong direction. The wires for the e-brake light/buzzer? were hanging down and the barrel connector was disconnected as well.

Upon reconnecting it and adjusting per the FSM (7-12 clicks on the handle and counterclockwise on the 10mm nut at the drum until it bottoms out and then back off a click). The e-brake is functional.

Last edited:
Is this hole (looks factory), stock on a Jan/78 cruiser?

I assume an ignition release. As sloppy as this clam shell feels I can’t help but think it’s wrong?

Thoughts?

steeringbutton.jpg

Last edited:
Your e-brake handle return spring is missing. Note the welded firewall bracket.

For the hole behind accel pedal shaft. I believe there’s an emissions switch that resided there. I probably have one in a box if you want/need to hook up the emissions gear. 65swb45 told me it’s a “brake switch for emissions” Here’s a thread to look at.
Electrical Connector Near Parking Brake

I have a 10/78 manu date, will check the steering column later

Your e-brake handle return spring is missing. Note the welded firewall bracket.

For the hole behind accel pedal shaft. I believe there’s an emissions switch that resided there. I probably have one in a box if you want/need to hook up the emissions gear. 65swb45 told me it’s a “brake switch for emissions” Here’s a thread to look at.
Electrical Connector Near Parking Brake

Thank you! Yes, I’ll need to purchase it from you, and a return spring if you have one extra. I’m also hunting for the return spring for my spare tire carrier lock handle.

I really can't figure this one out....The ends of the rear frame channel where the tail lights install into are hacked off - about 8" off each side....and then have cobble welded ends put back on?

Also...took the floor mat out and saw tar tape covering what appears to be a grinder gone wild or a botched attempt at cutting out rust?

9E7BD885-671F-4397-911B-6ED2B3BE667E.jpeg

FA5146C1-A493-4C4F-9209-400E09AFEDA5.jpeg

Last edited:
Giant hole? :)

Put a bolt in it... done..

I need help with a measurement. Since the rear cross member was hacked about 2/3'rds of the way through the tail-light hole, I am looking for the end to end measurement of the rear cross member, as exact as it can be.

I'm also working on sourcing the chunks of cross member I am missing. I have a lead - but finding a frame someone has scrapped is not easy.

This is the measurement I need:

rear40.jpg

I need help with a measurement. Since the rear cross member was hacked about 2/3'rds of the way through the tail-light hole, I am looking for the end to end measurement of the rear cross member, as exact as it can be.

I'm also working on sourcing the chunks of cross member I am missing. I have a lead - but finding a frame someone has scrapped is not easy.

View attachment 1782497

A photo of my '76 build from a series of pics I sent over to @Awl_TEQ who makes very nice replacement pieces. You would be well served to talk to him about getting a new one.
E6C1DB6F-1726-4142-9BC3-83B207C57085.jpeg

View attachment 1782497
I see you got your measurement. I want to see more of the FJ40 in the photo. Or a link

They are all factory riveted together though....not quite sure how to restore the cross member and keep oem rivets.

And a huge thank you for the measurements!
I'm using button head M10 bolts. You can see a couple of them here. They look close to OEM, and you could fill in the allen heads with epoxy prior to paint if you wanted.
8D2F33C0-1397-4E29-94BC-92DFEE403436.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom