SOLD 1978 SOUTHWEST FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Color
rgb(0, 255, 81)
I thought I could handle owning 3 Landcruisers, but 2 years of playing musical parking space under the carport and in the garage taught me otherwise. THREE IS TOO MUCH - - I AM BUT ONE MAN!

I bought Zack 5 years ago to help figure out what my first rig (Zeke) was missing. Zeke had been stripped of many original parts by 2 POs, and Zack was a virtually complete rig, so when he was posted for sale I thought, why not?

IMG_0853.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

Well, that worked out great, and last April I sold Zeke to a fellow Mudder who gave him a good home and an unbelievable makeover (thanks Pat!).

Two years ago I found my dream rig (Zeb), and so after 5 years in protective custody, it’s Mission Accomplished, and Zack is looking for another good home.

IMG_0851.JPG

I’m the third owner of Zack. First owner spent time between Arizona and Nevada. 124K on the odometer.

IMG_0852.JPG

Original front bumper was replaced with this custom tow bumper (tow bar included) for pulling behind his motorhome. Original seats and door cards had been reupholstered and were in bad shape when I got it. In 1989 it was repainted Rustic Green (cheap and quick, and it shows).

Last edited:
Engine is all original and complete, including the smog system.

IMG_0855.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG

Carb cooler blower works perfectly. Also bought a 78 emissions manual which goes wherever Zack goes.

Last edited:
IMG_0878.JPG
IMG_0879.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

If I was younger (71!) and had welding equipment and the knowledge/skills, I’d replace the rear bed pan, quarter panels and sill, strip the Earl Scheib paint job and repaint, but I don’t :meh: I have learned over the past nine years that I’m more of a caretaker than a restorer, and that I’ve taken Zack as far as I can. Rest of body and frame are solid and undamaged

IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0865.JPG

When accelerating in third it’s fine – when decelerating in third it pops out of gear and into neutral. I’ve adapted by keeping it in third manually until either I downshift or reaccelerate, but I’m guessing transmission could use new détent springs to fix. Otherwise, it drives and shifts smoothly. My wife even enjoys running errands in it BY HERSELF :steer:

I replaced the shredded seat covers and door cards, refurbed heater

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

Replaced the wagon spoke rims and worn out tires with BFG ATs

Rebuilt the knuckles and Aisan carb

Replaced original starter with gear reduction starter - WOW what a difference

New battery last month

And a long list of little things (with receipts)

I love driving Zack: starts right up, shifts smooth and the springs still take bumps and railroad tracks without making my teeth clatter. Brakes and steering are solid.

Yeah, we’re ALL reluctant and sad to sell, but when it’s time it’s time – so…

PRICED TO SELL AT 18,500

Ugh, I miss my old 74'...Yours looks great...just enough of a project, but still nice..:). I'm knee deep in a 73' Bavaria resto, but I'm missing my fj so much... I wish I could snag this baby!

Ugh, I miss my old 74'...Yours looks great...just enough of a project, but still nice..:). I'm knee deep in a 73' Bavaria resto, but I'm missing my fj so much... I wish I could snag this baby!
Haha - so do I!

Many years ago I restored a '76 2002 - Anthrazit Grau. Sold it to my brother in law.

Haha - so do I!

Many years ago I restored a '76 2002 - Anthrazit Grau. Sold it to my brother in law.
Niiice! I restored a Manila 69 1600 and did it ground up, everything...so awesome. drove it 400 miles and sold it...very stupid move..LOL

@Ocho77 , you must have seen this!

OK, you take Olive and I will buy this!

GLWS

Sold to another Mudder from the FJ60 clan. Pulled a U-Haul from Missouri with his dad and headed home

Tears of joy - thanks Brendon!

IMG_0903.JPG

ZacksaysBye.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom