1978 fuse box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you have a small fuse at the bottom like this one...
fuse panel.jpg

The cover reads like this...
fuse panel cover_text.JPG

Rudi

Could alternatively be the same as my 1979 depending on build month I think:

FuseBlock1.jpg
FuseBlock2.jpg

Ignore the key position stuff though... Some of that may only apply to the diesel BJ40 version
:beer:

Could alternatively be the same as my 1979 depending on build month I think:

View attachment 886570 View attachment 886569

Ignore the key position stuff though... Some of that may only apply to the diesel BJ40 version

Tom my 3/79 build LHD FJ40 has the same small fuse in the middle but missing the cover. I have a replacement 80 harness and few 11/78 harnesses as spares but not here in town. I do know the wiring changed quite a bid from 78 to 79 on US model. The wiring to the instrument cluster changed as well a plug design. I guess Rudi picture fits a 78 better.

That's interesting about October date. I got my two 78 wiring harness off of cowls I pick up from a junk yard. Both still have the tag riveted Driver's A pillar which I know what they are off of. I have to check if they have the later green plugs and different amp gauge hook up on the cluster. Didn't think they did. I believe Mace here on mud has or had a 12/78 that was a 79. Every other one I've seen was earlier (78) with the gas tank still in the cab.

That's interesting about October date. I got my two 78 wiring harness off of cowls I pick up from a junk yard. Both still have the tag riveted Driver's A pillar which I know what they are off of. I have to check if they have the later green plugs and different amp gauge hook up on the cluster. Didn't think they did. I believe Mace here on mud has or had a 12/78 that was a 79. Every other one I've seen was earlier (78) with the gas tank still in the cab.

:meh:

Oops. I didn't realise you were BOTH challenging my assertion that it could be the same as mine. (I'm always in too much of a rush.)

(I know Eddy knows his stuff but I was prepared to take a stab that I could still be right with just one opponent. LOL.)

I was basing what I said on this:
FuseBlock1.jpg

And I was thinking I must have 82600-60060.

But I must admit I'm having trouble with the EPC and it looks like I could have one with another part number.

(For my 1979 BJ40 the EPC says "not applicable" for 82600.)

Anybody know what part number mine is then? Something else must come after January 1979 but I can't find it right now...

That sounds like a fuse block only for 10/78 to 1/79. As it turns out my two 78 cowls I picked at junk are not both 11/78 but a 9/78 and 11/78. Just too bad I don't have the those harnesses here in town. Next time I'm at my cabin I will have to compare the fuse blocks. Marv Specter had a close relationship with Toyota over the years. A lot of the diagrams in his catalogs were right from the Toyota parts books replacing Toyota part numbers with his own. Many things in the early years of the FJ40 are not correct but later years are pretty good. For the dome light wiring loom he only shows going thru the 81 model. While there was a later one it was different because light switch for the doors requiring a ground in that loom. It is funny 99% of would we debate is NLA.

Looking at Specter's site everything changed 1/79. Gauges, instrument cluster circuit board, wiring harness and fuse block. While I completely agree changes were made during 78 the 79 model wiring can not be used as a reference for a 78 wiring. That was really my only point. Just too bad we live so far apart. Will love to have few beers and discuss cruisers.:beer:

http://www.sor.com/cat180.sor http://www.sor.com/cat184.sor http://www.sor.com/catproducts.sor?from=182&part.number=182-08&tabpage=TAB1

I can vouch for the 79 harness being completely different than anything before it. I have a 79 harness (unknown month) that one of these days I plan to dissect and map out like I have done to the 77 harness I have.
76 and 77 are identical except for the California spec versions. They have a lot more emissions stuff on them. I am in the process of documenting a 76 California spec harness.

Living in the past: If you get up to the cabin and want to send me one of your many 78 harnesses I would be happy to un-tape it, document it, re-tape it and send it back to you. I might even repair any damage to it... ;)

The harnesses may well be different beyond January 1979 but these 40-series cruisers were still fitted with fuse blocks.

And what's got my knickers in a twist is that I can find no part number for these recent fuse blocks.

I thought I knew my way around the Toyota EPC pretty well.

Up until January 1979, I see Toyota lists "BLOCK ASSY, FUSE" in the ELECTRICAL PARTS GROUP" under the "SWITCH & RELAY" heading and gives it a part number (as they do for most things).

From that date onwards (ie. Jan 1979) however, they still show a picture of the fuse block but don't bother going any further to list a part number. (And so presumably it has either NEVER been available from their parts department or whoever put together their database stuffed up and accidentally left it out.)

I can still see part numbers for the cover and the fuses .... but not the basic fuse block..

This is a tragedy and my life is now in turmoil :(

Tom is it possible that from 1/79 Toyota only sold the fuse block as part of the main wiring harness? Was it in 79 that fuel pump was now one solid piece with no rebuild kit available. I bought a used a used A440F wans split transfer case years. While the PO was moving it around he broke a piece that goes between the transfer case and vacuum shifter. When I check on buying that part was informed it was part of the vacuum shifter and not sold separately. Can't remember the price but it was way more than I was willing to pay. The thing I don't understand this piece has to be mount to the transfer case first and can not on the vacuum shifter first. By design if the vacuum shifter hits anything this is the piece mostly to break. Toyota's way of making you buy a expensive part when you only need a small piece of it. I was able buy a complete vacuum shifter cheap. The plate used to mount the A440F to the engine was $800 from Toyota at that time. I guess what I'm saying Tom maybe Toyota thought why sell you a fuse block when we sell you whole wiring harness. 79 was also the year Toyota introduced the mini 4X4 pickup and starting reducing the numbers of FJ40s to the US. By 83 the price of FJ40 was almost as much as a FJ60 and way more than a CJ7. Toyota made a decision to drop the SWB Land Cruiser from the American market and push the for the more fuel efficient four cylinder mini truck.

Tom is it possible that from 1/79 Toyota only sold the fuse block as part of the main wiring harness? Was it in 79 that fuel pump was now one solid piece with no rebuild kit available. I bought a used a used A440F wans split transfer case years. While the PO was moving it around he broke a piece that goes between the transfer case and vacuum shifter. When I check on buying that part was informed it was part of the vacuum shifter and not sold separately. Can't remember the price but it was way more than I was willing to pay. The thing I don't understand this piece has to be mount to the transfer case first and can not on the vacuum shifter first. By design if the vacuum shifter hits anything this is the piece mostly to break. Toyota's way of making you buy a expensive part when you only need a small piece of it. I was able buy a complete vacuum shifter cheap. The plate used to mount the A440F to the engine was $800 from Toyota at that time. I guess what I'm saying Tom maybe Toyota thought why sell you a fuse block when we sell you whole wiring harness. 79 was also the year Toyota introduced the mini 4X4 pickup and starting reducing the numbers of FJ40s to the US. By 83 the price of FJ40 was almost as much as a FJ60 and way more than a CJ7. Toyota made a decision to drop the SWB Land Cruiser from the American market and push the for the more fuel efficient four cylinder mini truck.

I checked 60-series and I can see the fuse block there too but not any part numbers.

I thought to check under the wiring harness listings but the fuse block hasn't been moved there (for later models). And Toyota splits looms up into lots of little bits anyway (with separate part numbers) so I don't think it would make sense for them to hide the fuse blocks within one of those part numbers and provide no details of doing so.

My guess is that Toyota sell very few fuse blocks as spare parts and so decided in 1979 not to continue stocking them. (And the best way to accomplish that is probably to never log them within their spare parts system.)

Time to take a step back from the EPC. :beer:...

Thanks Eddy.. I'll do so real S-L-O-W too with my hands in the air ...... (to maybe pull hair out).

I checked 60-series and I can see the fuse block there too but not any part numbers.

I thought to check under the wiring harness listings but the fuse block hasn't been moved there (for later models). And Toyota splits looms up into lots of little bits anyway (with separate part numbers) so I don't think it would make sense for them to hide the fuse blocks within one of those part numbers and provide no details of doing so.

My guess is that Toyota sell very few fuse blocks as spare parts and so decided in 1979 not to continue stocking them. (And the best way to accomplish that is probably to never log them within their spare parts system.)

Over the years dealing with Toyota I've come to the conclusion making sense is not something Toyota is worried about.

For a car manufacturer to sell vehicles in the US all parts have to be available for a certain number of years. So it's not a option to not have a part available. Including that part with another more expensive part is another story. That is allowed.

Sometimes, if you get a good Toyota parts guy, you can get dates on the last production request for a particular part.(Beno may be the one). They will list the part as NLA, but give you the last time the part was requested. May help with dating-'course it won't get the part for you either

Sometimes, if you get a good Toyota parts guy, you can get dates on the last production request for a particular part.(Beno may be the one). They will list the part as NLA, but give you the last time the part was requested. May help with dating-'course it won't get the part for you either

The issue here is there is no part number. Even items NLA with still have a part number listed somewhere. Post 1/79 do not seem to have part for the 4X or 6X series. Guessing the wiring harness part number still be found.

My mid year 1980 the fuse box was made on to the harness IIRC which is probably y y'all can't find a part# cuz I replaced it with a 90 gm truck fuse box and it worked like a charm. Just had to cut and splice with butt connectors and then seeled with tape. If I was doing this over again on a better truck I would solder and heat srink all of it
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom