1978 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any opinions on air lockers? Like ARB and the like? Is it worth it?
It's worth it if you need them. There are cheaper alternatives non-selectable options, also other selectable alternatives like the Harrop e-locker. Really depends on use, budget, and who will be doing the install. If you use a local shop, they may only install what they sell, and they may only be dealers for a certain brand. I don't think you'll find many people complaining about an ARB, they are quality and work as advertised. Like anything that is mechanical, things do break over time with use (sometimes improper, sometimes s*** happens). If you got the cash, and have the need for a selectable locker, I think you'll be happy with ARB's product.

I have ARB lockers front and rear. They work great

Hey guys, update on the 40. I have new plug wires, (re-gapped plugs) and distributor cap. I am still looking at hoses and Carbs. I used CLR to clean off some of the Rust. I like the look but I am worried that leaving any rust could be a problem. Any ideas on that? I coated the whole thing in Linseed oil; don't know how well it'll hold up on the trail but so far so good. The next issue is the rear sill and quarter panels. They are pretty bad. Should I just replace the rear sill cover (the section under the ambulance doors) or the whole thing? I think there is a piece that goes all around to the insides of both quarters. I am not an expert body guy but I have done some decent patches on other vehicles; first time on a 40. The ambulance doors don't shut right and I was wondering if it was due to warping/rusting of the rear sill. The door bottoms don't touch the rear sill by the striker maybe off by 1/4. The latch on the driver side doesn't reach the striker. I tried adjusting the doors from the hinges mounted on top and on the body and, afters hours of moving them around, that didn't seem to help. Sorry for the bombardment, thanks for the. help! (first pictures are of rust and later ones are of the cruiser after linseed oiling.

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

IMG_0121.JPG

The duct tape is covering holes. (I'm sure ya'll realize) Lots of 'em. I keep it there to keep passengers from getting gassed out :D. You can sort of see the place on the truck where I removed all the rust and other where I didn't; I wouldn't be hard to get all of it...

What kind of shape are the upper and lower amby door catches in? They need to extend fully to lock against the upper and lower lock plates. Take close up pics to help us diagnose.

From looking at the pics, If it were mine, I would just get a new rear sill cover from Reel Steal and put that on. I would try to leave as much OG as possible. Just my $.02.
Cool rig BTW.

Thank you! I will think about just replacing the cover. From the underside looking out the rest doesn't look to bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom