1978 FJ40 Wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What does the documentation for the altimeter say to hook it to? A US '78 FJ40 does not come from the factory with an altimeter and there are no provisions for one in the wiring diagrams.

Do you have a wiring diagram for your vehicle?

This is how my 1976 is wired. Best pic that I have.
889D9D94-D964-4778-A057-5F5596E87205.jpeg

And remember to always disconnect the battery before installing the dash cluster with hot alternator wires bolted to it. Very important, unless you want to learn arc welding in a new way.

Pretty sure the meter will just read backward if you hook them up wrong.

Ok got it all back together but when I turn on FJ the ammeter is not working...needle not moving. What could be wrong now...could it be the fuseable link?
It could be the fusible link, did you test it? You realize that when you say it's not working and the needle isn't moving doesn't mean anything. What are the conditions the vehicle is in i.e. are the lights on, engine running, key turned on engine not running etc.? Do not assume that we know what you are talking about. With electrical you have to be concise and accurate in your description of the problem for an accurate answer, or else you will get inaccurate suggestions. Once again do you have a wiring diagram?

It could be the fusible link, did you test it? You realize that when you say it's not working and the needle isn't moving doesn't mean anything. What are the conditions the vehicle is in i.e. are the lights on, engine running, key turned on engine not running etc.? Do not assume that we know what you are talking about. With electrical you have to be concise and accurate in your description of the problem for an accurate answer, or else you will get inaccurate suggestions. Once again do you have a wiring diagram?
Ok here is more detail. Everything is on...during day lights off at night lights on...heater on and off...yes I have a diagram from Haynes manual. I see in the diagram a fuseable link...can’t locate.

EED7EF5B-B140-404F-BF10-229067F2C982.jpeg

8C598323-88A4-4527-9932-7CF0E5B42A12.jpeg

53C171F3-1122-4C11-925A-A193A0E89801.jpeg

A8865950-BA61-4F16-BB5B-921074C17A7F.jpeg

The two smaller red wires coming off of the battery should both have a fusible link in them. Since your electrical system is working the fusible links probably have been removed and not replaced. Go to @Coolerman and order a replacement and some correct color wire to replace those red wires. There really should only be one smaller wire but who knows what wizardry has been done to the wiring. You can choose to go without the fusible links but when your vehicle burns to the ground look in the mirror for the person responsible.

With the engine off and the headlights on you should see the ammeter needle deflect to the left. If it deflects to the right your wiring is reversed. Turn the headlights off, start the engine and the ammeter needle should deflect to the right. If it is not moving at all it is a good indication that it is inop, if you have the correct wires attached to it. It seems you do have the correct wires attached as the lights work. Remember to always disconnect the battery cable when removing or installin the instrument cluster. They are expensive and getting exceedingly rare to find when you need to replace it.

What does the largest wire on the positive terminal go to?

The two smaller red wires coming off of the battery should both have a fusible link in them. Since your electrical system is working the fusible links probably have been removed and not replaced. Go to @Coolerman and order a replacement and some correct color wire to replace those red wires. There really should only be one smaller wire but who knows what wizardry has been done to the wiring. You can choose to go without the fusible links but when your vehicle burns to the ground look in the mirror for the person responsible.

With the engine off and the headlights on you should see the ammeter needle deflect to the left. If it deflects to the right your wiring is reversed. Turn the headlights off, start the engine and the ammeter needle should deflect to the right. If it is not moving at all it is a good indication that it is inop, if you have the correct wires attached to it. It seems you do have the correct wires attached as the lights work. Remember to always disconnect the battery cable when removing or installin the instrument cluster. They are expensive and getting exceedingly rare to find when you need to replace it.

What does the largest wire on the positive terminal go to?

There isn't a question or reply in the last message. Did it get dropped?

Ok got it all back together but when I turn on FJ the ammeter is not working...needle not moving. What could be wrong now...could it be the fuseable link?
Fusible link protects the wire between the battery and the fuse panel.
If it's burned, nothing works.
Looking at the pictures you posted, I don't see one.
For a vivid desciption on why you should have some sort of protection where it should be installed:

That red wire, coming off the battery, the smaller one, kinda loosely hanging as it runs back to the firewall and along it to the other side of the engine.... That looks like what should be either the white or white and blue.... Follow it back and see if it goes straight to the fuse panel?

Thank you...it is not moving at all. Funny thing is it was working before but when I closed the whole thing up after replacing cluster bulbs the ammeter stopped working. On thing the first time
I took it apart I forgot to disconnect battery and received alittle arch from one of the ammeter
Post to the dash metal frame. Could that have destroyed the ammeter?

Yep...sounds like you fried it.

So i went out and looked at the red wires to see where they went. Big red is attached the starter I think (first and second picture) ...is the green wire a fuseable link? The smaller red wire is attached to the aftermarket ac unit.
238BD91F-0DB1-45AC-8523-1FFC141CC346.jpeg

4279B676-5430-451B-9825-E1337B020A9D.jpeg

3289D798-9B97-4310-9F78-964E86425304.jpeg

I’m guessing the red wire going form the positive terminal to the wire harness is the fusible link. I had one that look just like that, not OEM, but it failed me right where it goes into the lug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom